Garrard lab 80 wiring....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had asked here for comments regarding modifying an old Lab 80, and basically it was suggested that I not do it. However the thing was free, and not a high end "collectable" model, so I think I will do it anyways, hopefully creating a fun , manual garrard Lab 80, (no mechanicals, no electronics, just an on off switch and the speed selector)

The motor has three wires going to it. Red , Blue and Green.
The Green is a chassis ground, I assume the Red is AC positive, the Blue AcC negative.

Am I correct or will this be a shocking experience?

As usual, any and all help is appreciated.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
You might be right, but I doubt it. Garrards typically connected the on/off switch in the middle of the motor, so those wires wouldn't corrrespond to mains. If there's a neon strobe light, one of those wires might be a 90V tapping using the motor as an autotransformer. There are various possibilities. I suspect that you haven't actually found the mains input to the motor.

Could you take a photograph of the underside?

Garrard Lab 80 con't

here's what's under the plinth of the Lab80. I guess I could just wire the motor to a switch directly as long as it is rated for 120V, 10 amps or something like that (don't know the voltage rating on the motor but it is a North American one)

attached is a sketch of the circuit as seen from below. Thanks to any and all...

Attachments

• garrard schematic.jpg
    garrard schematic.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 277
Garrard Lab80 wiring....con't

so I took the plunge and just hooked up the wires. Red to +120V, blue to - (return), and green to ground. My god, this is what everyone means about these Garrard motors.... completely silent (ya it was spinning).

So the next step is a fuse, a good switch and remanufacturing the idler wheel..

idler wheels...

You may try the turntable factory
Although I have never seen any of his work, He has posted here and at other sites regarding the work he does. He also was kind enough to send me a very prompt personal email response to a question that I had, and I can only imagine how good his customer service is. I have to believe that this is the basis for his business If his customer testimonials (provided on his website) are even remotely true (and I have no reason to believe that not to be the case---anyone here have personal experinces?) his customers must be very happy.

http://www.theturntablefactory.com/

There are others out there as well.

I am in no way associated to the turntable factory

"watch out where the Huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.