Pro-ject 1.2 Vs Rega P? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2005, 02:03 PM   #1
kazoo is offline kazoo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Pro-ject 1.2 Vs Rega P?

Hey guys, has anyone ever compared the two. I was just wondering how good the pro-ject tables are. I am looking into getting a new table but money is an issue, so trying to find something good for a good deal. So thought you guys can help me. Thanks for any info.

John
Old 28th June 2005, 10:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Rega line has a better upgrade path than the Project which might prove to be a better investment in the long run.The Rega arm has various rewiring kits available for it commercially and the platter and motor etc. also.I think finding a used P2 or P3 second-hand and taking it from there is a good option.
Old 29th June 2005, 12:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well right now I have a Dual 607 but I have to get an addapter to use different cartridges. The addapter is $60 dollars. So I don't know if it is wort spending the money for an addapter or if I should just get something else that would be better than the Dual. The reason I ask about the Pro-ject is because there is one for sale on Audiogon for a good price and comes with two cartridges. Even the cheapest P2 I have seen is going for about $100 dollars more. So I was just wondering how it compared to the Rega lower end turntables or if I should just keep the dual and spend the money for an addapter and a cartridge. I just got into vinal about a month ago and bought a good size collection and the Dual table was thrown in for free. So I have no comperison on what table is better than the other. That is why I am asking you guys.
Old 29th June 2005, 10:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Rega would probably sound the best,but with tweaking who knows!The extra $100 bucks would be worth it cause the Rega has a top class arm that that can be transferred to better tables down the track if you wish.Here is link to Vinyl Asylum where there is a ton of turnable info in the archives.http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html
Old 1st July 2005, 09:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Why not spend a buck or two more and actually go to a dealer and listen to them so you can make a decision. It doesn't make any sense to let us be your ears when you have to listen to it and we don't.
Old 1st July 2005, 02:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

That is true but there is no dealer that carries Pro-ject around me. I do have a dealer that carries Rega and I think they also have one Music Hall on hand. I just wanted to know how good the Pro-jects were. I will probably save up a little more and get a P3. Thanks for the help guys.

Hide this!Advertise here!