Where to begin?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy! I just registered after lurking around here awhile (sorry), and although I'm an HVAC guy by trade I'll try and contribute when I can. Some of you may recognize my moniker from AA or A'gon, and all I can say is; "There goes the neighborhood!"

I want to get my hands dirty and build a TT (aka: Teres), but I don't want to dive-in to the deep-end too fast. I would like to start by making a simple, custom plinth using Planar 3 parts from either my existing TT or possibly a donor, and I'm thinking it would be cool to make a plinth large enough to mount two or even three arms onto, giving me the ability to do on-the-fly comparisons.

Here's the question: Where can I find a thread regarding plinth substances? I looked in the Search area and found alot of mention of various types of materials, but they were all listed individually and I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I'm thinking along the lines of a Corian/Wood/Corian sandwich, perhaps 3" or so in height (for the mass), relieved inside to allow for the bearing/well and the arm(s).

Is this a good idea? If not, any ideas to help me out? Or a link?

Thanks!

Hi Jim,

Tired of the Vinyl Asylum eh!
Have you read any of the Lenco threads? LOTS of plinth ideas out there. I'm surprised you didn't mention this one:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1075644493&read&3&4&

Somewhere I saw polished black Corian and some kind of exotic hardwood
under a Teres platter. Looked amazing if my memory serves me,
which isn't very often. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, and Thanks for the reply!

Tired of VA? Not at all (well, except for the omnipresent "What's spinning?" threads), and I've gotten lots of good advice over there! Yeah, I've seen the A'gon thread, and I'll be stealing quite a bit of those ideas when I build my 2nd TT, but for now I'm going with this: I've almost completed the intial design on AutoCAD, and I've decided on a Rega/VPI knock-off, using two pieces of black 3/4" Corian sandwiching a 3/8" piece of stainless of slightly smaller size. Also, I've got some 2" holes inside the stainless to load with shot before gluing it up. Will this work? Heck, I don't have a clue but I have to start somewhere, right?

But I'm having trouble dealing with the motor. I don't want to mount it directly to the plinth, and I don't want to hang it off the side (ala VPI). What I'm trying to do is design a seperate motor stand that will sit under the table, with the spindle sticking up through the top of my plinth. Easy for someone else to do, maybe, but I'm still struggling with it.

Since this will be my first DIY attempt I'm going to keep everything else relatively easy for me, "going with what I know", as it were. The bearing/spindle assy, motor and IC board, and such will be from a Rega, with a couple RB250/RB300 arms. Would I like to use a Teres bearing? You bet, but I don't have the cash for that right now, and I would rather mess with (i.e.: screw up) an old Rega part than a new Teres piece.

If all goes well with this project someday I hope to get my hands on a Lenco and hear for myself what y'all are fussing about!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.