Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2005, 02:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Some Cartridge and tonearm input please

Earlier I had asked for some suggestions on a cartridge for getting my old Thorens back in action and the information was very helpful (thanks everyone!). I am refining my plans and would like to run some thoughts by the experts.

The TT has what appears to be a pretty massive, straight tonearm (see attached photo) with no antiskate. Based on what I have read the most appropriate cartridge would seem to be a fairly low compliance model with spherical stylus ala disc jockey. What do you think of using a Shure M35x as an economical starter cartridge and trading up to a better tonearm-cartridge combination as $$$s permit?

It appears that the only adjustments are the pivot height and tracking force. However the headshell is held on with the single knurled screw on top and it can be moved in and out and maybe turned a little bit that way. I need to read up on proper adjustment a bit before I try to get it set up.

Do you think that it would be possibly to set up this tonearm with a DIY antiskate system using some fishing line, a little pulley and some small weights?

mike

thanks for your patience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tonearmcrop.jpg (77.3 KB, 451 views)
Old 6th June 2005, 03:43 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Personally, I wouldn't spend 1 minute or 1 dollar on that arm.
Old 6th June 2005, 03:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Guess I understand that

Well I suppose I understand why you say that but unfortunately it is either that one or build the wooden Altmann.

There is no budget for a tonearm at this point. Are you saying that the existing arm can not be used without damaging my records or just that it will sound crappy? I can take crappy but I don't want to ruin the recordings.

mike
Old 6th June 2005, 05:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, I wouldn't put my records under it. Maybe someone who knows that arm will pipe in and give it a clean bill of health but I'm sceptical of that happening.
Old 6th June 2005, 05:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are you saying that the existing arm can not be used without damaging my records or just that it will sound crappy?

I don't really know what that arm is but yes, it looks frightful. As it may well have high bearing friction it might eat your records.

If your funds are limited why don't you sell the TT on ebay and buy something simple but proven (Rega 3, Thorens 160 etc) which comes with a real arm?
Old 6th June 2005, 08:01 AM   #6
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is that a TD 124?
If so, I'd happily consider swapping with you for a Linn with SME 3009.
Old 6th June 2005, 12:04 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Some good points- check for pivot friction and play. If there's any hangup, rattling, or "sticky" bits (especially when initiating movement), you don't want to use that arm. Even if not, at its age, it will probably need disassembly, cleaning, re-lubrication, and re-adjustment of the bearings. That's do-able, but there's a high "sproing" factor involved.

If all is smooth and lovely, you can get by with a cheap Grado.
Old 6th June 2005, 04:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you for all of the informative posts.

I took the thing off to get a closer look and it looks like salvaging it is not practical. It is a General Electric TM-2G by the way. It was originally installed as a mono unit and rewired for stereo. I don't know how heavy it is since I can't put my hands on an appropriate scale right now.

There is a crack in the frame from over torqueing the rough balance adjustment knob, a broken pivot pin, and quite a bit of side to side slack where the support goes through the mounting flange.

The crack would probably be easily repaired but the other problems are, I suspect, more involved. Am I right in assuming that the wobble would be a major flaw?

Dnsey: Thanks for the offer but it has rather substantial sentimental value and the platter and bearings seem to be in excellent condition.

Sy: Interestingly other than the above mentioned slop it seems to move quite freely with no scraping or binding. There was some resistance due to the hookup wires being rather stiff (looks like 20 gauge plastic insulated).

I considered saving up a little to get one of the radio shack $99 belt drives but this is a DIY site so I probably ought to at least consider a more hands on approach.

Just how rediculous would it be to try something like This ?

mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tm2gpost.jpg (67.0 KB, 339 views)
Old 6th June 2005, 05:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default P.s.

BTW, what is the proper wire to use for a tonearm? Many of the pics I have seen look like very light gauge magnet wire.

mike
Old 6th June 2005, 05:07 PM   #10
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You have exhausted your one minute with that "arm". Bin it. Then, nip down to a model shop and buy some balsa wood. Then kludge together a unipivot bearing out of a ball point pen tip. Throw some really fine (multicore) wire at it, strap on a counterweight, and you'll have something far better for peanuts. It won't be pretty, mind, but it'll sound much better. I'm sure there's a balsa arm design floating about on the net somewhere.

Hide this!Advertise here!