DIY Turntable is completed- pics here - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2005, 02:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Turntable is completed- pics here

Hi All,

Many of you have probably already known about this project from another thread, "Intro from newbie TT builder". This thread has info about the design, and follows the process along. A sketch of the design is also available there.

First of all, thanks to all of you who gave me your input, and a special thank you to Frank Schroder and Chris Brady for their help and encouragement.

These are 4 of 12 photos I took since I finished it. The rest show a little more detail and most, if not all, will be posted later.

A brief comment about the base and plinth... The large white base was used as a microscope stand. It weighs in at 353 lbs, and I need to do a little structural work under the house to get it more solid. The two pieces used for the plinth are Afrormosia wood, from Africa. I cut the lower piece into the shape of a half-ellipse to match the shape of the base, and to also serve as a reminder of the shape of an elliptical stylus. The upper piece is a full ellipse. They are held together with screws and wood spacers.

Well, enjoy the pics!

Warm regards,
Colby

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th May 2005, 02:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

http://home.comcast.net/~colbyl_1/turntable.html
Old 30th May 2005, 07:46 AM   #3
plysch is offline plysch  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Holy cow!! Congrats!!
Really nice job. And the stand is awsome as well.
Does it sound as good as it looks??
Old 30th May 2005, 08:35 AM   #4
Tee-Rex is offline Tee-Rex  Israel
diyAudio Member

This is beatifull Colby. C'mon, let's have the details!!!

-T
Old 30th May 2005, 01:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Details

OK- Details!

Tonearm- front to back...The cartridge is my old Ortofon X1-MC, pretty worn out, but sounds good on this rig. The headshell plate is titanium. You can see that the left and right wires are separated in the arm. The holes are about 1MM dia., accomplished by making grooves down the side of the inner 3/8" dia. piece of Black Palm. The outer piece is African Blackwood.
The wires leave the arm through 2 holes in the pivot piece (Aluminum). They are so short because the first time I ran the wires, they binded in this area and I had to cut them. Azimuth is adjusted here, and a screw in the top locks the two pieces together.
A tungsten shaft is press fitted into the back end of the pivot tube, and the counterweight is also tungsten.
The effective length of the arm is 283.88 MM/ 11.176". The effective mass is 12.5G.
The piece holding the lower magnet is aluminum.
The other materials used for the arm base are stainless steel and brass. All pieces are dowel pinned together, so can be disassembled and reassembled.
VTF was measured over the playing range from .06" below to .06" above the record surface and the total variation was .1G. Azimuth was checked also, using a dial indicator across the headshell, and did not change.
The arm lift is oil damped, but does not move slow enough to let the arm freefall onto the record. Instead of using a cam below the vertical shaft, I used a set screw going into the horizontal shaft. The length can be adjusted, which controls the amount of lift.

Reflex Record clamp- solid brass, and weighs 6 lbs.

I tried several materials for the trust ball/plate, and ended up using a ceramic ball and a delrin plate with a very small piece of teflon pressed into the delrin. This keeps the divot size to a minimum.

I covered the platter details fully enough in the other thread. Its final weight is 29lbs. I filled the lead shot cavities with glycol after the lead went in to improve visual clarity and to add weight. I don't know if this was a mistake sonically, but the rest of my system and my bad room acoustics will not be revealing that!

Despite the cart I am using, it does sound extremely good.

Questions??

http://home.comcast.net/~colbyl_1/turntable2.html
Old 30th May 2005, 02:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

you rule...
Old 30th May 2005, 03:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default very beautiful turntable!

Congrats, Colby! I love the exotic woodworking details, the quality of the machining and the overall excellence of the design. I hope it sound as good as it looks. Kudos.
Old 30th May 2005, 06:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Wawwwww !!!

Old 30th May 2005, 06:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks!

This must be the 15 minutes of fame that I've been waiting 52 years for! It is certainly the "Holy Grail" of all the things I've ever made. Thanks for the complements.

Colby
Old 30th May 2005, 09:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

YOU ARE GREAT!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!