The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2005, 01:45 AM   #1
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Default The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Today I shipped the first batch of Phonoclone PCBs. Its appropriate I think to switch gears, and threads, from the design phase to the build phase.

Component selection, soldering, mounting, wiring, cases, power supplies, mods and varients. All that good stuff, Q&A, FAQ, Discussion... and pics pls! ... goes here.

First an update for Batch 2. This will be a mixed order of VSPS and Phonoclone boards and I'll be taking orders for these up until Sunday, May 22.

Reviewing the Phonoclone PCB, it came out as I had imagined it might. Looks good. The only changes I would make are purely cosmetic, so I'm not going to bother with an update right now. Batch 2 Phonoclone PCB will be exactly the same (ver. 1.5e Beta) as Batch 1.

Just so you know, Batch 3 will be in 6 months, September-October. I want both projects to go through a full build cycle before continuing.

-R

Relevent Links:

PCB Ordering Information

Phonoclone Page

Hint page for the Phonoclone PCB

VSPS Page

Hint page for the VSPS PCB
Old 17th May 2005, 03:18 AM   #2
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Two "issues" came up during the manufacturing process of Phonoclone 1.5e, both related to the silk screen layer.

1. The text font came out much bigger than it looked in Eagle, so the RJM Audio label got offset and chopped off. The board is now RJM Audi. I hope I don't get sued by the car company!

2. The other point is slightly more serious: the component values layer didn't get printed. (Olimex doesn't print this by default) Please use either the table of components or the Eagle-generated images of the board as a guide to match the component (C2, R4 etc) with the required value. The regulators ended up unlabelled, but it should be clear that the 7912s go beside V- at the bottom and the 7812s go near V+ at the top.

Also, I notied the edges of the boards are cut quite roughly, so you may want to sand them down before you start. In any event, since the boards are fibreglass please take appropriate precautions when handling the edges.

-R
Old 20th May 2005, 02:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Boards did arrive safely

Today the PCB's did arrive safely.
Now awaiting part of the components.

Did I see it correctly that you have silvermica's at hand for the RIAA?
If yes, is it a good choice?

Regards,

E&E
Old 20th May 2005, 02:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rjm
1. The text font came out much bigger than it looked in Eagle, so the RJM Audio label got offset and chopped off. The board is now RJM Audi. I hope I don't get sued by the car company!
Set all fonts to vector, that way they will appear full size. I also use freedfm.com to check my gerbers look correct before I send them out.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 20th May 2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear your packages are showing up.

>With vector fonts the Eagle results match the Olimex end product. Good call. VSPS layouts have been updated accordingly.

>Those caps are actually polypro, and given their size might be film-foil. They ought to be ok. I haven't tried them yet.

I was using some itty-bitty cheapo metallized polypro things before and they weren't all that great. Lent an, um, metallic grain to the sound. Using polystyrene since yesterday, seem v. fast and clean but too early to call.

The big revelation was with diodes. I have two power supplies (actually three but...) two at any rate differ only in having a 25A bridge rectifier vs four fast/soft glass passivated diodes. So I can hot swap between the two rectifiers easily. This time around the big bridge was sooo much better. That nagging greyness in the treble which has been bugging me for a some time fell away to black. Moral: watch out for RF, either from the power line or diode-generated.

Anyway, that switch, in combination with the new caps, really pushes it from 75 to 85 points /100 and into the A list.

-R
Old 20th May 2005, 05:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Oh, and if you want component values on the silkscreen, you have to enable that layer in the silk gerber in the CAM processor. I think it's called t_value(?).
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 20th May 2005, 06:13 PM   #7
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The big revelation was with diodes.
Did you try some small Schtotky diodes? I am considering that option. Just received some of these today.
https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MBR1100-D.PDF They should be fairly free from noise

Steen.
Old 21st May 2005, 01:45 PM   #8
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

A lot of people use Shottkeys and like the result. Didn't work for me when I tried it with the Gainclone, but dont let that discourage you, necessarily.
Old 25th May 2005, 11:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi R,

The boards & components arrived safe & sound; thanks for that!

I am now awaiting my Russian teflon caps, & hope to put it all together soon thereafter. I look forward to comparing it to my other equipment.

I intend to play with opamps & powersupplies as well. One step at a time though!

Regards,
Phil
Old 3rd June 2005, 07:25 AM   #10
naz is offline naz  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to naz
Sweet my parts just showed up safe and sound today.. now it's time to get a crackin' on building them up .

Naz

Hide this!Advertise here!