The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Ordered a VSPS300 kit from Richard, before Christmas, arrived in less than 10 days despite the holiday - fantastic service.

Took a couple of hours to build on Saturday afternoon, initial impressions are very good, soundstage is very expansive and the lower registers are much fuller and tuneful than my previous phono stage (modified NAD PP1 with battery supply). Highs are a little harsh, but I am sure that will tame with burn in.

Thanks again Richard for a great sounding kit.

Attachments

• IMG-20121229-00052.jpg
    IMG-20121229-00052.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 351
Plitron

I have been spending way too much time making sure of all the parts to order are what will serve me well in the build of a VSPS 300 and in going over what transformers to buy I just noted for a given amp size the Plitron's are twice the size of their less expensive competition. Must have some massive cores. Problem is what do I buy for a box to fit a almost 5 inch tall 10 inch wide transformer?

Burn-in of cap's

First post so bear with me............

There's lots of discussion on how the PC3 will sound better after several days of use. I saw a reference elsewhere to pre-burning in the cap's using white noise from a tuner. Can anyone comment on how this is accomplished and which cap's from the PC3's audio path would benefit from this process? :confused:

thanks, Philip.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
@pdg

Just having the unit powered up will burn in most of the components. The only exception is the output coupling caps, C3.

Don't go connecting the tuner output to the Phonoclone inputs unless you know what you are doing though. You need to add a voltage divider to simulate the correct impedance and signal magnitude.

Either break in the coupling cap before its hooked up to the board (just connect it to a transformer secondary for a few days), or forget about the whole thing and enjoy hearing the sound get better as you listen to more and more records.

OK OK OK here is the deal. If you go on the E catalog, click on standard transformers, then click 12 volt you can see a group of different transformers that output 12 volts. If you click MORE INFO you get the information that I was reading. The VIEW SPECS link seems to give the correct or more expected size.
Thanks,
Walt

Just placed my order for a VSPS 300 kit and bought a transformer from AVEL. A 250 VAC unit for $56.00 shipped. I was thinking I went way overboard but remembered that when I sold McIntosh equipment in the 70's and early 80's that there trannies were so over built that they would run at room temp.
Has anyone added the .1 uf TDK ceramic caps to bypass the four filter caps? If not I think I will try them before trimming the leads on the Nichicon's.