The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

And, it's always nice to have spare parts in the drawer (at the moment I have an old unknown DIY phonostage with PSU, two class D amps with heavy toroids, four 8" philips full range, eight 10" woofers, two Mark audio full range, two small woofer/midrage, two tweeters, one small yamaha class d amp and bits and pieces), so if a 100 VA transformer really is that much better, then I can reuse the 16 VA to something else

:bigeyes: I want your spare parts bin! Mine is a bit more pedestrian. A few unknown trafos, some caps and resistors, some drivers pulled from a projection TV, etc. etc.

Nice to hear more about VSPS. I started a breadboard but didn't have the iron to test it. I may be able to do that soon. My other phono stages are a Hagerman Bugle (op-amp with one channel out), Boozhound Labs LePacifica jfet and a Yaqin MS-12B. I'm curious to see what VSPS does relative to these.

I have never tried Farnel. I usually do my shopping at Mouser, mostly because they pass the stuff through customs at France themselves and they do not charge shipping for orders over 65 euros. Plus I usually have the stuff in 3 days or so.
I have tried their Hammond and Triad transformers and both are very nice. Note about the 12V hammonds that they give 12V instead of the usual 13,4 which means you have to slightly alter the divider in X-reg

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am in the process of transfering my phonoclone to a 2 chassis version, with power supply and the boards seperate. I am currently using a 225VA novutem transformer with 3A bridge rectifier.

My question is that I am thinking of changing my current 3A bridge rectifier to 25A Bridge rectifier. Would that contribute positively to the sound or it would not make a different?

I am thinking that for 25A specs, the inherent or internal noise level should be lower for the same current drawn than 3A.

Any idea anyone?

Thanks.

Instead of using big oversized bridge rectifiers, why not try using two of them and form a better power supply?

psu_riaa.png

You will need two separate secondary windings for this one.

Just completed my phonoclone last week and after couple of days run in, it's absolutely freaking awesome. It ate my heavily modified dynavector p75 for breakfast lunch dinner supper and what have you and this is not even a dual mono configuration yet. Mind you my p75 was running using a dual rails linear psu and had the internal SMPS bypassed.

Thanks for much Richard for the product!