The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

@wirehead.be

Sorry, I meant to comment on your FFT plots earlier: The bottom plot seems about right for the noise floor of the VSPS. Note the noise spectrum has an "inverse RIAA" shape to it, and no power line harmonics. This indicates a clean bill of health. To get a truly accurate picture, the inputs should be shorted with a load resistor of 1k to mimic an MM cartridge. The top plot, I wouldn't put a lot of value in. If noise is injected into the signal path by clicking the mouse, noise is also being picked up from who knows where.

@Hikari1

I'd suggest using the VSPS and adjusting the output gain to 50 dB. The output signal with be close enough to a standard line level signal that it should be usable in your passive setup.

Switch mode power supplies: don't use them.

/R

So, minimum recommended is 35 VA. Bigger is generally better, but quality counts, too.

-rjm

What's the technical reason that bigger is better? I'm not building a power amp but a phono stage.

What is the maximum current draw (peaks)?

I have a small poweramp with Tripath 2024 chip. It have a 12 volt 2A supply, and it's adequate. Why should I build a PSU for a phono stage, that is more powerfull that one I use in a power amp?

To start with I use a 16VA 2x12 volt transformer, and later only I might try a total overkill PSU just to compare.

Power supplies should not go "wild" and become a monster current sources. Some people tend to use very powerful transformers to power up their RIAA preamps (me including).

However I have a very good reason to use 35VA trafo instead of 15VA. My local supplier offers those two with just 3-4 euro price difference, so why go cheap? I'm not manufacturing RIAA preamps in thousands of units per year :D

Regards,
Venci

p.s. toroidal transformers nowadays are so affordable.

The problem with starting cheap and then moving up is that it costs more than doing it 'properly' in the first place.

The designer and others have said 'bigger is better' so why query it? Doing it right first time is always cheaper.

FWIW my PhonoClone3 has a 120va transformer, and its doing very nicely thank you. I never considered getting anything smaller (and TBH I did think of a 250va one, but then physical size starts to become an issue)

As you can see from the replies, everyone has their own threshold.

Really though, there is not normally a very great difference in cost, size, or weight up to about 50 VA so you might as well buy in at the top of that range.

Whether an upgrade to 100VA-160VA is a worthwhile does depend somewhat on what you can get and at what price. In any event for the stereo VSPS I'd suggest sticking with 35-50 VA.

G'day all, I built a breadboarded VSPS a long time ago and give it use every now and then.

I have purchased and/or built a number of different phono stages that are all excellent, but can somebody please tell me why the VSPS sounds so musical?

I'm presently spinning David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' album and it sounds so musical through the VSPS that there are almost tears in my eyes! Regards, Felix.

thanks for all replies. When I say I like to start cheap. si becuase of my own curiosity. I'm no a die hard DIY'er, but I like to learn and it's a hobby. I'm not in to this hobby to get the best in the first shot, but to learn and have fun

In that case get something just to make it work, and when the DIY bug bits you again and you can afford it get a bigger one. You are in for a nice surprise :)

G'day all, I built a breadboarded VSPS a long time ago and give it use every now and then.

I have purchased and/or built a number of different phono stages that are all excellent, but can somebody please tell me why the VSPS sounds so musical?

I'm presently spinning David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' album and it sounds so musical through the VSPS that there are almost tears in my eyes! Regards, Felix.

Simplicity at its best :) I really love that phono too.

In that case get something just to make it work, and when the DIY bug bits you again and you can afford it get a bigger one. You are in for a nice surprise :)

Money is not really the problem. I'm a stubborn guy, and if my own logic tells me it can't be true, then I need to make my own experience. And yes, in the long run it's darn expensive to learn the hard way, but it's also more fun.

And, it's always nice to have spare parts in the drawer (at the moment I have an old unknown DIY phonostage with PSU, two class D amps with heavy toroids, four 8" philips full range, eight 10" woofers, two Mark audio full range, two small woofer/midrage, two tweeters, one small yamaha class d amp and bits and pieces), so if a 100 VA transformer really is that much better, then I can reuse the 16 VA to something else:cheerful:

Last edited:

I can confirm that for some reason The VSPS (and few other) single op-amp RIAA preamp does sound very, very well compared to some two stage projects.

Also bare in mind that most integrated amplifiers (even those "labeled" as high-end) use the cheapest way of processing the phono signal. They use poorly designed power supplies and general purpose op-amps.

so if a 100 VA transformer really is that much better, then I can reuse the 16 VA to something else:cheerful:

100VA is overkill. IMHO the main reason for using a bit oversized transformer(toroidal ones) is the marginal differences in the price tag for ratings up to about 50VA. That's why I always use the highest VA rating that fits my budget and enclosure :D

Overkilll... another weird word that is often used in such discussions...

What would make you feel better.... Shooting your enemy with a pistol? Or evaporating him with a bazooka? :p

Adequacy and overkillness is a matter of personal taste... try and you will see... the difference is there...

What would make you feel better.... Shooting your enemy with a pistol? Or evaporating him with a bazooka? :p

Neither...

I prefer the sniper rifle :D

Which in DIY audio terms translates as(applied to RIAA phono stage) - large enough transformer capable of supplying three times the current consumption of the stage and a dead silent voltage regulator(discrete).

Neither...

I prefer the sniper rifle :D

Which in DIY audio terms translates as(applied to RIAA phono stage) - large enough transformer capable of supplying three times the current consumption of the stage and a dead silent voltage regulator(discrete).

Again you are referencing a random multiplier that seems logical or practical.

Of course there are diminishing returns, which make the difference a matter of personal taste and economic practicality.
But what I am saying is that if it is overkill or not should be a matter of testing the impact it has to the sound.