The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
@WntrMute2

Sorry I don't have a photo, but the diagram is linked to from the pcb ordering page, scroll down to the image of the board, and the info is included if you click "download schematic".

For convenience I've also attached it, below.

@Carlp

Audacity I have used. I guess what I was thinking of is something really slick, where the audio sample was matched against an online database to ID the album and song info and make the cuts based on the reference info.

Failing that it's not worth the hassle. I'd just make archival recordings as one big file "side A", "side B" for each LP.

Attachments

• vsps300i-board.png
    vsps300i-board.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 443
So I have some Solen caps as well as some Kimber Kaps and some generic caps for C3 of my VSPS. Any suggestions? Also, C3 is marked for polarity, the caps, all 3, don't have polarity marked. The Kimbers do have different colored leads, red and black, is this significant? Also, I need some reccomendation as to wire to hook up the XLR input from the power supply to the boards. As well as hook up wire from the inputs to boards and from boards to outputs. What gauge wire do you recommend for both of these applications? Should either or both inputs or outputs be shielded? I can twist some up but I found a source of what appears to be good quality silver plated copper stuff in 22-26 awg. either shielded or plain. Thanks.
Dave

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
All that stuff falls under the category of "personal taste". Generally you don't need to use shielded cable for the internal signal wiring, but twisting the +/- pairs together is good practice.

The black wire on the caps denotes the outer foil. It would normally go to the side with no DC bias applied. For C3 it doesn't but technically it would face the output rather than the op amp.

I use 16 or 18 awg or similar stranded copper for the internal power wiring, and 24 awg solid copper core for the signal wires. It depends on a) what you have lying around and b) whether you are more interested in how it sounds or how easy it is to manage the cable routing. Teflon wire might be desirable, but it a total pain to strip since it is so slippery.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Technically, it's a simple matter of the outer foil acting as a shield for the inner foil. So, the outer foil should be connected to the low impedance side, or ground, to reduce noise pickup. Also I suppose in high voltage application it is better for a safety aspect to have the outermost foil at low potential should it ever get exposed from the plastic wrap.

Though its true, I've never given it a moments thought before now. None of my foil caps have these markings, so I've never cared about which way to connect them. Multicaps, for example, may not even have this kind of internal construction anyway.

Rondo Bronze: DC impedance 6 ohm, 0.5 mV output. The impedance is low enough that it would be a nice match for a step up transformer, but it's also compatible with the Phonoclone if you want to go that route.

Thanks again, considering that my funds will be severely depleted after the cartridge purchase I will go the Phonoclone route as it is the most cost effective solution
Cheers

I've finished my power supply. My first project of this type. I've used 50VA Amtek transformers at $17 each. The IEC connector incorporates a fuse and lighted switch to simplify my hole drilling and wiring. I have the IEC on what I plan to be the side for access. The umbilicals (or is that umbilici) exit the back. Comments and suggestions welcome.
Dave
BYW, how do you get the pictures to enlarge. The little thumbnalis just move a bit when you click on them?

Last edited: