The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk - Page 254 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2013, 01:11 PM   #2531
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Oops, I the link text in my post above was corrupted for some reason. The url is http://phonoclone.com/pcb.html.

For some strange reason, people on OSX seem to have more trouble reading the zip archives than those using Windows.
Old 15th September 2013, 03:30 PM   #2532
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Great, thank you, that worked. And no trouble un-zipping and opening the file in LibreOffice on OSX.

I had forgotten the BOM link on that page. The link that wasn't working is on the Construction Guide page, under Sourcing the parts. The link is: (http://phonoclone.com/files/pcb-bom.zip).
Old 16th September 2013, 05:38 AM   #2533
aive is offline aive  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm View Post

The high gain of the phonoclone means the output offset voltage is quite high, perhaps as much as 1 V, so it is not really a good idea to remove the output coupling caps. You can replace it with a DC servo, with a daughter-board for the extra components.

Or you can learn to live with whatever small color creeps in as a result of the capacitor, and use one which you happen to like most.
Hey Richard,

I just ordered one of your VSPS 300 kits I have a relatively high end headphone rig at the moment (LCD-3 headphones + Woo Audio WA2 headphone amp (soon to be HeadAmp GS-X mk2 amp) and am looking to squeeze as much out of the VSPS as possible.

Is it possible to replace the output capacitor of the VSPS with the servo output section of the Kevin Gilmore headphone amp (A Pure Class A Dynamic Headphone Amplifier | HeadWize)? Any tips for how to do this? Thanks in advance.
Old 16th September 2013, 02:35 PM   #2534
diyAudio Member

One Phonoclone shipped september 13 arrived today in The Netherlands at my house. Mail from Japan to the Netherlands is faster than the local mail! Thanks Richard!
Old 20th September 2013, 03:59 PM   #2535
diyAudio Member

Almost there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foto.JPG (514.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 20th September 2013, 04:05 PM   #2536
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Post deleted
Old 23rd September 2013, 06:09 PM   #2537
diyAudio Member

Just about to start soldering my VSPS board and I was wondering what are the most important resistors from a sound standpoint (i.e. which ones are worth spending extra on resistors)? I've read that the load resistor (47k) in many phono stages is a good one to spend $$ on and I happen to have a pair of nude foil 47k resistors on hand (along with some 1k). I was thinking I'd install some sockets for any resistors worth rolling, hence my question.

Thanks!
Old 24th September 2013, 08:49 AM   #2538
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

If you want to be quasi-scientific about rationalizing it, the input resistors should be more sensitive to "quality" than the output resistors, as their output is magnified by the circuit gain. That's as good a guidance as any, really.
Old 24th September 2013, 12:18 PM   #2539
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Richard. The input load resistor just doesn't seem to be as much in the signal path as R6, and I don't understand how much effect the feedback resistors might have. But I'll just try a few things.
Old 24th September 2013, 12:28 PM   #2540
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well, what would the designer know after all? ;o)

Hide this!Advertise here!