The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk - Page 210 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2012, 07:11 PM   #2091
diyAudio Member

thanks for all replies. When I say I like to start cheap. si becuase of my own curiosity. I'm no a die hard DIY'er, but I like to learn and it's a hobby. I'm not in to this hobby to get the best in the first shot, but to learn and have fun
Old 5th November 2012, 02:20 AM   #2092
fap is online now fap  Australia
diyAudio Member

G'day all, I built a breadboarded VSPS a long time ago and give it use every now and then.

I have purchased and/or built a number of different phono stages that are all excellent, but can somebody please tell me why the VSPS sounds so musical?

I'm presently spinning David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' album and it sounds so musical through the VSPS that there are almost tears in my eyes! Regards, Felix.
Old 5th November 2012, 07:40 AM   #2093
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldsen View Post
thanks for all replies. When I say I like to start cheap. si becuase of my own curiosity. I'm no a die hard DIY'er, but I like to learn and it's a hobby. I'm not in to this hobby to get the best in the first shot, but to learn and have fun
In that case get something just to make it work, and when the DIY bug bits you again and you can afford it get a bigger one. You are in for a nice surprise

Quote:
G'day all, I built a breadboarded VSPS a long time ago and give it use every now and then.

I have purchased and/or built a number of different phono stages that are all excellent, but can somebody please tell me why the VSPS sounds so musical?

I'm presently spinning David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' album and it sounds so musical through the VSPS that there are almost tears in my eyes! Regards, Felix.
Simplicity at its best I really love that phono too.
Old 5th November 2012, 07:56 AM   #2094
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
In that case get something just to make it work, and when the DIY bug bits you again and you can afford it get a bigger one. You are in for a nice surprise
Money is not really the problem. I'm a stubborn guy, and if my own logic tells me it can't be true, then I need to make my own experience. And yes, in the long run it's darn expensive to learn the hard way, but it's also more fun.

And, it's always nice to have spare parts in the drawer (at the moment I have an old unknown DIY phonostage with PSU, two class D amps with heavy toroids, four 8" philips full range, eight 10" woofers, two Mark audio full range, two small woofer/midrage, two tweeters, one small yamaha class d amp and bits and pieces), so if a 100 VA transformer really is that much better, then I can reuse the 16 VA to something else

Last edited by Kjeldsen; 5th November 2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 5th November 2012, 01:29 PM   #2095
simonov is offline simonov  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fap View Post

I can confirm that for some reason The VSPS (and few other) single op-amp RIAA preamp does sound very, very well compared to some two stage projects.

Also bare in mind that most integrated amplifiers (even those "labeled" as high-end) use the cheapest way of processing the phono signal. They use poorly designed power supplies and general purpose op-amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldsen View Post
so if a 100 VA transformer really is that much better, then I can reuse the 16 VA to something else
100VA is overkill. IMHO the main reason for using a bit oversized transformer(toroidal ones) is the marginal differences in the price tag for ratings up to about 50VA. That's why I always use the highest VA rating that fits my budget and enclosure
Old 5th November 2012, 01:36 PM   #2096
diyAudio Member

Overkilll... another weird word that is often used in such discussions...

What would make you feel better.... Shooting your enemy with a pistol? Or evaporating him with a bazooka?

Adequacy and overkillness is a matter of personal taste... try and you will see... the difference is there...
Old 5th November 2012, 01:46 PM   #2097
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
What would make you feel better.... Shooting your enemy with a pistol? Or evaporating him with a bazooka?
Neither...

I prefer the sniper rifle

Which in DIY audio terms translates as(applied to RIAA phono stage) - large enough transformer capable of supplying three times the current consumption of the stage and a dead silent voltage regulator(discrete).
Old 5th November 2012, 01:50 PM   #2098
diyAudio Member

Transformer prices in my country

16 VA - 17$
50 VA - 45$
120 VA - 65$
Old 5th November 2012, 02:00 PM   #2099
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
Neither...

I prefer the sniper rifle

Which in DIY audio terms translates as(applied to RIAA phono stage) - large enough transformer capable of supplying three times the current consumption of the stage and a dead silent voltage regulator(discrete).
Again you are referencing a random multiplier that seems logical or practical.

Of course there are diminishing returns, which make the difference a matter of personal taste and economic practicality.
But what I am saying is that if it is overkill or not should be a matter of testing the impact it has to the sound.
Old 5th November 2012, 02:00 PM   #2100
diyAudio Member

Are those from the same brand/manufacturer?

This is what I have available for let say 17+17VAC

35VA - EUR 10.717
50VA - EUR 11.329

Hide this!Advertise here!