The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk - Page 202 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2012, 02:23 PM   #2011
240z4u is offline 240z4u  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 240z4u
Honestly, there isn't anything "wrong" but it just doesn't sound like I want it to. Its really a great sounding setup, but not quite "there". The caps may do the trick.

Evan
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:58 PM   #2012
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240z4u View Post
Honestly, there isn't anything "wrong" but it just doesn't sound like I want it to. Its really a great sounding setup, but not quite "there". The caps may do the trick.

Evan
i felt the same way when i built mine using a wima mkp on the output . then i installed , i think it was jensen poly's and BIG improvement .

i've got the mundorf's here and going to try them when time allows

cheers Woody
Old 23rd June 2012, 02:22 AM   #2013
240z4u is offline 240z4u  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 240z4u
Thanks Woody. Please keep us updated! I definitely want a bit more top end "sparkle". It really is a great phono stage though. I can get mundorfs locally, so that's particularly interesting.

Evan
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:29 AM   #2014
diyAudio Member

Richard. Having read Happiness is Z Shaped I was wondering about using z foils as R1 in my PhonoClone. Not cheap I know but worth it? What do you think?
Old 23rd June 2012, 07:22 PM   #2015
diyAudio Member

Well it s when people start talking about miraculous changes that I try to hold a small basket... Especially the RF suppressing change described is a bit suspicious...
It could be a nice test though. Lots of people regard them very highly. If I had easy access to some I would give them a try.
Perhaps I will try to get some with my next order and try them along with my next mod to increase the gain a bit
Old 24th June 2012, 03:26 AM   #2016
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post

My approach would be to expose some nice and comfortable pads so that I could solder and desolder easily the resistors directly to them

Dimitri
Dmitri, Thanks for your thoughts, but do you think the board is strong enough to withstand three or four desolder/solder's per year?

Mark
Old 24th June 2012, 07:09 AM   #2017
rjm is online now rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

I would allow 3 de/solder cycles, max, total. Any part you might want to change more often should be mounted on standoffs. You can buy little gold pins for the purpose, or simply solder a wire lead into the pads, and solder the component to the wire lead stub.
Old 24th June 2012, 07:22 AM   #2018
rjm is online now rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Onion View Post
Richard. Having read Happiness is Z Shaped I was wondering about using z foils as R1 in my PhonoClone. Not cheap I know but worth it? What do you think?
The output noise of the phonoclone is defined by the op amp, not the input resistors, so there is technically no advantage in using low noise resistors.
A bulk foil resistor also has very low inductance, which can have certain advantages re. RFI interference or feedback stability.

My opinion? I don't think the improvement will be worth the cost in this application. If I was going to try, though, I'd go with the Vishay as being half the price and properly encapsulated as well.
Old 24th June 2012, 09:41 AM   #2019
diyAudio Member

Thanks Richard. Thats saved me a fair wad (I'd have needed 4 as I need 5ohms on the input side)
Old 24th June 2012, 10:27 AM   #2020
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masiebers View Post
Dmitri, Thanks for your thoughts, but do you think the board is strong enough to withstand three or four desolder/solder's per year?

Mark
No. As Richard verified.

Quote:
or simply solder a wire lead into the pads, and solder the component to the wire lead stub.
I was talking about something like that.

Another approach I have seen around is soldering the resistors directly on the RCA sockets.

Hide this!Advertise here!