The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk - Page 193 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2012, 01:06 AM   #1921
diyAudio Member

Daz,

Certainly 2 dimensional is not how I would describe my two Phonoclone builds. Could you post some pictures? Also, by bypass do you mean power supply bypass?

Regards
Old 29th April 2012, 01:48 AM   #1922
kor952 is offline kor952  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Daz,

My experience with Silmics is that they need at least a 14 days (3-4 hours a day playing) break in period? I did buy the complete Phonoclone 3 kit, the Nichicons supplied in the kit also needed a lot of time to break in, maybe due to the very small AC signals.

I just had the worst two days with my Phonoclone 3 after changing the kits output caps for Black Gates N series 4.7uF 50V. The Phonoclone sounded very dull right after the change and it took 16 hours before they started to sound a little better.

Ronald.
Old 29th April 2012, 10:35 PM   #1923
diyAudio Member

Hi Ronald and Martin, yes I mean the 100uf bypass caps.
I realise I may have over done the power supply as the xreg is being fed by a LM317 and LM337 regs.
I am going to try the recommended supply, of a rectified transformer Tomorrow, so I'll see how it goes.
It does sound dull and shut in at the moment though.
I used an ESP phono board before this and the sound was excellent but needed a head amp, something I'm trying to avoid.
Thanks for your reply, I'll let you know how it goes.
Darrell.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:28 AM   #1924
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourdogmax View Post
Hi Ronald and Martin, yes I mean the 100uf bypass caps.
I realise I may have over done the power supply as the xreg is being fed by a LM317 and LM337 regs.
I am going to try the recommended supply, of a rectified transformer Tomorrow, so I'll see how it goes.
It does sound dull and shut in at the moment though.
I used an ESP phono board before this and the sound was excellent but needed a head amp, something I'm trying to avoid.
Thanks for your reply, I'll let you know how it goes.
Darrell.
Darell after a some time of living with an x-reg fed phono I see no reason to use anything else to feed it with "cleaner" power. It sounds and performs amazing as it is.

The only reason you might consider the LMs or the 78s is to keep the psu simple, but since you already built the x-reg just let it do its own thing and you will not regret it.

I was also going to try many things (planned while the caps were breaking in) but now I just do not want to try anything... there s no point "fixing" something that does not need it....

Just give your caps about a month to break in and do not rush things (this comes from a really impatient dude....). Some things just need their time...

Oh and try to use a MUR diode for the rectifiers. They make a huge difference over plain square bridges (even vishay ones). Oh and the biggest torroid that can fit in your chassis

PS
Small update on the Hammond 160VA toroids... The 182Q12 has so much inrush current powering up that it slowly roasts the 2A slow burn fuses... If anyone is considering them, I would propose using a soft-start kit with them.
Old 30th April 2012, 08:44 AM   #1925
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

A 160VA toroid running on a 220/240Vac mains supply should be able to start up and operate with a T1A fuse fitted. Maybe even 800mA (ordinary, not time delayed)
Yes, I agree use a soft start delay circuit.
Old 30th April 2012, 01:55 PM   #1926
diyAudio Member

Well guys. I built the new psu and well, what a difference.
It's night and day, I was definately overdoing the regulation, starving the thing of dynamics.
I have also ordered some MUR diodes, we'll see how that goes.
Cheers all.
Darrell.
Old 30th April 2012, 08:55 PM   #1927
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well folks, I'm just back from a very pleasant evening with my friend The Guitarist, who has got his Phonoclone up and running. The version he has is one of a 'limited edition' kit run, just before the version with the X-reg came out. Previously he was using one of Tom Evans Finestra preamps as a phono stage. The line pre-amp is one of the group buy black-board DC-coupled Pass B1 buffers, hot-rodded. He is using the new B-boards with his Phonoclone.
The Guitarist is a self confessed 'picky @^$!@^%' and his initial impression was that the Phonoclone was a bit better than the Finestra. By the time I'd dropped 'round to listen his initial reaction had changed to deeply impressed. This is the first chance I've had to listen to a Phonoclone and it really is very good indeed. Turntable is a Townshend Rock 2 with an SME 309 and an AT OC-9 cartridge. The amp/ speaker end of things is DIY, active and complicated, involving Pass F5s, RAAL tweeters, Audax mids Peerless XLS 12s, etc. The sound with the Phonoclone was easily the best I've heard at The Guitarist's place, and made CDs sound distinctly second-rate, despite the Buffalo II DAC, assuming the record itself was any good. Difficult to highlight particular strengths- everything seemed to be better. If pressed, I'd say that instruments and voices had greater separation and were more distinctive- generally everything sounded clearer. Bass guitars seemed very easy to follow for example. Some negative aspects of the system's sound that we'd assumed were loudspeaker cabinet artifacts largely disappeared, much to our surprise. The Guitarist is very pleased and I've been told to pass on his thanks for the design. Now I'm going to have to build mine...

Last edited by Toaster; 30th April 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 30th April 2012, 11:39 PM   #1928
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

@Toaster

Message received. The Phonoclone should indeed work nicely with the OC-9. The "pre-Xreg" phonoclone is probably the LM317/337 "BE" version. I'm pleased to learn people are happy with the B-board buffers, even retrofitting them to the earlier Phonoclones.
Old 1st May 2012, 01:41 PM   #1929
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

That's right Richard, it was the BE. I couldn't resist buying the latest Xreg version and so passed the BE on to The Guitarist. At some point he's looking to get a Dynavector DV17 Mk3, as he was very happy with his Mk 2 before it dropped a channel. Output was comparable or slightly higher than the DAC, incidentally, so plenty of gain. The Guitarist reckons the Phonoclone is the one of the biggest bargains in audio, DIY or otherwise, and as usual he's absolutely right.

Last edited by Toaster; 1st May 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:28 PM   #1930
diyAudio Member

Well 2 days with the new psu and I'm very pleased, the new diodes haven't arrived yet though.
There is however one other problem.
I don't know it anyone else has had this, but when my son is home his mobile phone is interfering with the unit.
both the psu and pc3 are mounted in steel cases and grounded.
Any clues fellas? (without kicking the boy out).
Cheers.
Darrell..

Hide this!Advertise here!