The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk - Page 191 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2012, 10:56 PM   #1901
kor952 is offline kor952  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm View Post
Ronald's answer is absolutely correct. The problem though is this is essentially a one-way mod, since pulling out transistors and other X-reg components isn't something you can do repeatedly.

What I suggest instead is a second set of boards. Swapping boards in and out is relatively easy, and an X-reg-less phonoclone BOM cost is low.
For experimental purpose I removed the X-reg transistors from the Phonoclone PCB this afternoon without cutting the pins....that was really a pain in the ***!

Ronald.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:20 PM   #1902
diyAudio Member

Yeah - I have the op-amps in sockets, but the transistors are soldered in and IIRC, there aren't massive pads around each one either. I'd imagine it would be easy enough to damage the board.

Fran
Old 28th March 2012, 11:30 PM   #1903
diyAudio Member

Oh and here is my finalized psu case

Still missing a led though... And I might replace the leds with other ones... Blue is a bit... blue

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIM_0750.jpg (201.3 KB, 614 views)
Old 28th March 2012, 11:33 PM   #1904
diyAudio Member

Nice and neat....
Old 29th March 2012, 05:02 PM   #1905
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

dimkasta, this blog post is for you
Old 29th March 2012, 06:12 PM   #1906
diyAudio Member

Nice read. Makes a lot of sense, although I would love to learn a bit more about what the current spikes can cause.

Anyway, your simulation might be a bit optimistic too. You are forgetting about the big startup inrush current because of the empty filter caps, which on a very rough simulation on my pc started/peaked at about 12A and eventually balanced at about 1A spikes (with a similar but simpler circuit - just a resistor in parallel to the filter capacitors).

Reducing the filter cap size (to something like 100uF) caused the current spikes to be reduced to almost half, but the voltage ripple was quite bigger.

I guess it is a give-take situation...
The thing is that we can afford more current (bigger transformer/bridge) but bigger ripple is always a big problem, although smaller caps might be nice.

So QFT... do not cheap-out on transformer and rectifier specs...
Old 29th March 2012, 06:47 PM   #1907
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Yes, my LT spice sim also shows over 10A on the first cycle - I cut out the start up ramp on the data I posted to the blog. Diodes and transformers are designed to handle inrush currents, within reason.

Reducing capacitance lowers the conduction angle and the ripple ratio, they are, as you observe, linked. Resistance (or inductance) breaks that link. The more series impedance on the power line, the lower the ripple voltage, the lower the inrush currents, and the lower the diode peak conductance. A little resistance in the form of a CRC filter goes a long way here.
Old 1st April 2012, 01:33 PM   #1908
diyAudio Member

The mundorf capacitors were a nice opportunity to move into a full dual mono topology.
Their damn size was too big to fit in the case the way it was drilled (connectors were on the way), so I decided it was time to redo the case-work.

Here is a quick look on the new layout.
I did not hear it yet. I still have to work on the second channel and on the power supply.
I would like to hear the effect of the capacitors with the same power supply as well to see how they affect the sound, but anyway....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIM_0752.jpg (258.8 KB, 551 views)
Old 1st April 2012, 06:13 PM   #1909
diyAudio Member

Default Phonoclone finally done

After many struggles and mistakes, and with lots of help from RJM, members of this forum, my brother the electronics whiz, and lots of orders from Digikey, my Phonoclone3 is finally finished.

All I can say at this point is thank you, I could not have done it without all of you, and WOW, the sound is positively gorgeous.

John

Old 1st April 2012, 07:06 PM   #1910
diyAudio Member

Congrats

But I don t think we can see the photo straight from your mail attachment.

Try attaching it here on the forum

Hide this!Advertise here!