The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk - Page 163 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2011, 06:15 AM   #1621
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

@WntrMute2

Sorry I don't have a photo, but the diagram is linked to from the pcb ordering page, scroll down to the image of the board, and the info is included if you click "download schematic".

For convenience I've also attached it, below.

@Carlp

Audacity I have used. I guess what I was thinking of is something really slick, where the audio sample was matched against an online database to ID the album and song info and make the cuts based on the reference info.

Failing that it's not worth the hassle. I'd just make archival recordings as one big file "side A", "side B" for each LP.
Attached Images
File Type: png vsps300i-board.png (13.2 KB, 332 views)
Old 2nd October 2011, 11:47 AM   #1622
diyAudio Member

Thanks Richard, helpful as always. I can't wait to get started. For those in the US, I found a source for what seems to be appropriate transformers. Shielded and all. I bought 2 for a dual mono supply at $17.50 each.
Antek - AS-0512
Old 2nd October 2011, 01:10 PM   #1623
diyAudio Member

Had some time to take pictures of the finished project - redid the wiring a little, and the toroidal transformer can be seen now

Click the image to open in full size.

The white/blue wire looking "loose" is actually going to the case ground
Made sure all wiring is properly twisted now
Old 2nd October 2011, 03:28 PM   #1624
diyAudio Member

Beautiful, sounds as good as it looks I bet.
Old 15th October 2011, 02:46 PM   #1625
diyAudio Member

Richard , i'm just ordering the parts for the PCboards you sent . TY

try Spin It Again - Transfer vinyl LP to CD or convert tape cassette to CD and MP3! for transfer and splitting .

cheers Woody
Old 15th October 2011, 09:36 PM   #1626
diyAudio Member

So I have some Solen caps as well as some Kimber Kaps and some generic caps for C3 of my VSPS. Any suggestions? Also, C3 is marked for polarity, the caps, all 3, don't have polarity marked. The Kimbers do have different colored leads, red and black, is this significant? Also, I need some reccomendation as to wire to hook up the XLR input from the power supply to the boards. As well as hook up wire from the inputs to boards and from boards to outputs. What gauge wire do you recommend for both of these applications? Should either or both inputs or outputs be shielded? I can twist some up but I found a source of what appears to be good quality silver plated copper stuff in 22-26 awg. either shielded or plain. Thanks.
Dave
Old 16th October 2011, 12:03 AM   #1627
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

All that stuff falls under the category of "personal taste". Generally you don't need to use shielded cable for the internal signal wiring, but twisting the +/- pairs together is good practice.

The black wire on the caps denotes the outer foil. It would normally go to the side with no DC bias applied. For C3 it doesn't but technically it would face the output rather than the op amp.

I use 16 or 18 awg or similar stranded copper for the internal power wiring, and 24 awg solid copper core for the signal wires. It depends on a) what you have lying around and b) whether you are more interested in how it sounds or how easy it is to manage the cable routing. Teflon wire might be desirable, but it a total pain to strip since it is so slippery.
Old 16th October 2011, 12:08 AM   #1628
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1911a1 View Post
Aha, yeah that's what I had in mind. Nothing fancy, but it automates the database search and data entry parts of the process, which makes all the difference, and it supports 24/192 format, which together is all I would need.

@Wirehead.be

Great build. I'm still confused why you are using 1/4" jacks though.
Old 16th October 2011, 12:08 PM   #1629
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/WntrMute2/Capacitors.jpg
So what about the caps without orientation marks such as the generics or the Solens? How are they to be positioned? Could you explain a little more about their positioning for my education? Thanks

Last edited by WntrMute2; 16th October 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 16th October 2011, 12:44 PM   #1630
simonov is offline simonov  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

@WntrMute2

You won't find any technical explanation about this. Some people claim to hear a difference in film capacitor orientations. I call this a self delusion.

Hide this!Advertise here!