The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nixed the ground plane, kept the diodes. Kept the caps but shrunk them a little.

Executive power, y'know.

Attachments

• pc23f-gif.gif
    pc23f-gif.gif
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,033
Pretty!

May I suggest to move C12B and C13B, to keep the back of the regulators free for possibly heathsinks?

I know, they are not needed for a tranny with 12-0-12V. But the heathsinks will allow a bigger freedom in choosing a tranny. Even higher voltage will be possible.

Kind regards
Franz

rjm said:
Diodes ... check.

Full ground plane ... check.

Extra bypass caps ... check.

Dual op-amp version ... keep dreaming, rabstg!

/RJM

As a famous person once said... "I have a dream..."

The board does look VEY good so far and I would be happy to build and use it as is. But a fella can dream!

All-

Anyone know of a decent dual version I can build to give away to a friend? I will save this one for me. ;)

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Franz, now you can simply use C12,13 instead of C12B,13B if you wish to add heatsinks at the back. The space around the regs is still fairly tight however.

GredD, I originally erased the full ground plane because I didn't like shielding the signal components using what is in effect the power ground. However, I remembered that by keeping a section of the ground plane isolated and connected independently to the signal ground I can produce a quiet screen. This has been implemented on the PCB.

Some general comments about the next batch order. The deadline for orders is Saturday, Jan 21th. In addition to the Phonoclone B.E., I may order a VSPS sized phonoclone, or the double-sided version of the old LM7812 version, if there is a significant demand. (i.e. more than two people). The VSPS PCB will stay as it is for now. I might do a LM317 version next time, but this will depends on what level of improvement we find with the Phonoclone B.E.

According to Olimex a double sided board will add $7 to the price of a Eurocard. So that's $43 per stereo phonoclone set. Since this is the first round and you are Guinea pigs ... I'll make it $40 for the B.E., $43 for the DS LM7812 version though. VSPS price is unchanged at $20.

Parts are available, and I'll also offer a complete kit including the resistors this time. However the shipping date of PCB+parts orders may be delayed compared to PCB only orders. Depends on if/when I get a chance to go shopping.

So, if you want to be in on this batch order, please email me soon.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the PCB layout of the Phonoclone .... Badass Edition :skull::skull::skull:

-rjm

Attachments

• pc23 full-s.gif
    pc23 full-s.gif
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,090
"According to Olimex a double sided board will add $7 to the price of the phonoclone PCB. So that's $43 per stereo set. Since this is the first round and you are Guinea pigs ... I'll make it $40 for the B.E., $43 for the DS LM7812 version. VSPS price is unchanged at $20."

So to summarize..

1. phonoclone $43 ($40)
2. DS LM7812 version $43
3. VSPS price is unchanged at $20

I'm defiantly in on a pair, but being new to the thread (and all 27 pages) I don't know the differences between them just yet.

I would willingly accept suggestions. :D

Is there a quick way to find the difference between versions, and are those differences scattered through out this thread or do I need to be reading another thread elsewhere?

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
To clarify, there's the mm phono stage VSPS PCB, unchanged from before and available for $20, then theres an as-yet-unannounced VSPS-sized phonoclone PCB, which will only be available if there is sufficient interest... it would cost $20 and be a plug in replacement for the VSPS board - this is for previous VSPS owners who upgrade to an mc cartridge, or people who would like a more compact board.

The main disadvantage over the full sized board is the restriction of the resistors to standard 1/4W types and the output coupling cap to a Black Gate N or similar np electrolytic.

/R

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Phonoclone mini

Sorry, that's the only thing to call it that came to mind.

Attached is the final-minus-one version of the VSPS-sized (1/4 Eurocard, 1/2 a normal Phonoclone PCB) Phonoclone.

I'll be ordering it this weekend, so if you want one just yell before then.

Basic limitations are you have to use a Black gate for the output coupling, and no fancy bypass cap options: you are stuck with two placed half way between the regs and the op-amps.

But, it is small. And cheap. Only $20.

/rjm

Attachments

• pc24f_gif.gif
    pc24f_gif.gif
    32.3 KB · Views: 963
Working with matrix board was harder than I thought...
I just plugged in the transformer now, and no smoke yet... :hot: :D

Measured DC offset with inputs open as 5.6mv on both channels

Little short on spare cash for RCA connectors, well I could try nagging the missus... so I don't know what it sounds like... seems like too much effort to go and rip them out of the hafler.

How can I tell if I built the wrong version of the VSPS?

I am listening to mine now, and appart from slight hum, due to less than optimal earth arrangement (not a prolem)... BUT

there is audiable distorion in the bottom and top end of music... At the same time it sounds real good, just need to get rid of that distorted sound...

I suspect the one regulator may be bad, as I get its full 15VDC on the one rail... so it may be just that... lets hope!

Just to make it easier to help me...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Values used

R2 220R
R3 680R

But now I saw something in the text

R2
This resistor sets the gain. It can be varied from 680R/6k8 (30dB) to 220R/2k2 (40 dB) to 68R/680R (50dB) and perhaps lower still.

R3
Allen Wright Mod., cuts treble attenuation above 50 kHz. 680R can be used when when R2 is 220R (40dB gain), as the value need only be approximate.

Where it says 220R/2k2 do they mean R3 should be 2k2?, I somehow understood the next piece to mean the 220R for R2 should have 680R for R3.

Do I make sense?

OK, just found the manual for the record player...
Cartridge specification
Type: Induced magnet (does this mean moving magnet type?)
Frequency responce: 10Hz to 20KHz
Output: 3mv per channel at 1KHz
Load impendance 47K
Stylus : Diamond spherical SN-50

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just to make it easier to help me...

Nope. Its still a rambling mess. If your VSPS is put together in any way resembling the way your posts are structured I'm not surprised its not working.

Why the values for the resistors are written as 220/2k2: The first refers to the LowZ version, the second the HiZ version of the circuit.

For the rest you are on your own.

/R

Those are fighting words...
Hi Nordic,

Indeed that was not a nice thing to say.

Anyway a more appropriate response may deal with weather I infact should use the low or HiZ or LowZ version...
What cartridge do you have?

Let's just build a low impedance version. (I did for my Grado cartridge)

In that case

R2=220R
R3=680R
R4=33k
R5=220k

C1=3,3n
C2=10n

Check all your other values as well...and then double check..don't smoke a zoll in between checks ;)

Check, those are the values I have on here...

I have just now completed resoldering the whole board from top to bottom..., I use the default layout as per the instructional website, even down to ordering and waiting 2 weeks for the specified guage wire...

So forgive me if I am touchy.

Cartridge specification

Type: Induced magnet (does this mean moving magnet type?)
Frequency responce: 10Hz to 20KHz
Output: 3mv per channel at 1KHz
Load impendance 47K
Stylus : Diamond spherical SN-50

Ek gaan een groot zol rol wanneer ek klaar is.