The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk - Page 114 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2009, 03:19 AM   #1131
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jermo
the ticking is odd too, it's probably about 5 ticks per second and it comes from the turntable at all times even if it is unplugged.
Installed a wireless router recently? This ticking noise is often wifi of cell-phone related.

Just a guess.
Old 26th March 2009, 03:57 AM   #1132
Akita is offline Akita  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

If like this, i suggest you test you equipment one by one to make sure which one cause the humming and work with it.

turntable --> vsps ---> power amp ---> speaker.

Test your power amp 1st, by shorting out the input signal to ground (using paper clip, crocodile clip or a shorted rca connector)

If no humming then plug in your vsps, short the input,

If you found humming, it mean something wrong with your vsps grounding, So solve it first.

Then plug in your turntable, if you fround humming or ticking, then the defect is from the turntable.

About grouding you can read more info at RJM website.
http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/...diy_guide.html

Note, the ac ground and the main transformer are grounded on one ground lug. The 0v dc ground is grounded on another ground lug.

Good luck
Old 26th March 2009, 04:32 AM   #1133
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Note it is important to short the VSPS input when testing. It will hum if left open circuit. It should be silent when shorted.
Old 27th March 2009, 01:00 AM   #1134
ThomasR is offline ThomasR  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hi all;

first of all, i'm new on the forum; i've been looking around a bit, but hope to contribute in the future.

Since i am looking at building a phono stage for my mm cart. i thought the VSPS would be good.
(currently 4mv output, thinking of buying an upgrade of 5,5 in the future)
(ortofon om5e to 2m)

I went through the entire thread (pfeew) and made my own eagle version of the scheme and pcb with a few adaptations i found on here as well.

since i am rather creative but not (yet) very good at amp design (or PCB for that matter) i'd like some of the experts to look at it.

there are two points that need a bridge, but i'd simply do that p2p on top of the board and remove the traces.
for the moment they're there to clarify.

i'll be etching them myself using the toner method, or at a local place if i find one.
(i etched a few boards in the past, albeit with developing etc. during the time i still had my uncles photo gear at hand)

i plan on building them first with the stuff i can get my hands on quickly, and afterwards maybe one with some better parts.

thanks in advance,

Thomas
Attached Files
File Type: zip archief.zip (47.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 27th March 2009, 01:46 AM   #1135
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

The single channel, single sided VSPS board does not lend itself to the most elegant layout. I removed it from the pcb page just the other day, but include it below for your reference.

Some comments on your circuit and layout:

1. You probably want mounting holes to mount the boards to the case.
2. It's bad practice to have traces forming acute angles. Keep everything 90 deg. and wider.
3. Ground order should be kept to IN-, R1, R2, (Out- and R7), (C6,7), (C4,5), COM.
4. Try using the POLY command in eagle for more professional looking results.
5. If you are going to the trouble of using the LM337/317 you might as well add the additional capacitor on the adj terminal for improved performance.
6. Since you are the only person I know to make a single channel VSPS, please consider scrapping the LM317 for the Xreg! That would be cool.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pcb-vsps100e.zip (50.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 27th March 2009, 08:22 PM   #1136
diyAudio Member

thanks a lot, i've only just started work with eagle.
i'll keep the trace thing in mind.

by the looks of it, i think its best to omit the regulators on board, and build the xreg instead.

what do you think is best, fitting them both on one board, or just taking your designs, and bridging the non used components?

thanks for the input;

greets,

Thomas
Old 27th March 2009, 09:21 PM   #1137
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

If you are going to fab your own boards, what I suggest you do is start from the Xreg board, enlarge it, and add a VSPS channel (without regulators), copying my layout fairly closely.

Note that my VSPS board has the traditional feedback loop, while you have gone with the new one that puts C3 and R6 in the loop, so there will be differences.

Anyway this option gives you a chance to develop your Eagle skills, and results in a relatively neat package, while still being fairly safe.

/R
Old 27th March 2009, 10:12 PM   #1138
diyAudio Member

great!

I'll try that and keep everyone posted
Old 28th March 2009, 08:27 AM   #1139
diyAudio Member

OK, sorry to be the noob again, but i'm stuck with eagle

I added the vsps scheme to the xreg, but cant seem to be able to position the components on the pcb.

its as if they are in a layer i'm not working in, since i can only select the actual signal lines.

the zip with the files is in the post.

could anyone tell me how to "grab" the components, i'm not asking anyone to lay them out for me.
I've been trying for an hour and its getting quite annoying; also i dont find anything in my tutorial or on the web.

thanks in advance, sorry to be a pain,

Thomas
Attached Files
File Type: zip archief.zip (45.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 30th March 2009, 10:23 AM   #1140
diyAudio Member

I've come to the conclusion that it will be the easiest for me to simply get the 2x2 original pcbs made, and then leave out the unnecesairy components.

I found a very cheap local place, in total it probably would cost me 15 euros for the pcb's.

now getting my gainclone psu to work, somehow the rectifier doesnt do what its supposed to.
i guess i'll just buy prefab bridges because i think i might have cooked the diodes... i
ts a test for the moment anyway, BR100 poweramp and 12au7 preamp coming up in the future

thanks anyway for the effort, i'll keep you guys posted in another thread on my projects.

greets,

Thomas

Hide this!Advertise here!