curved rega tonearm - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2005, 07:07 PM   #1
padego is offline padego  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default curved rega tonearm

Hi folks
I have an option to buy an older rega p2 with the above early tonearm. I believe its from the late 70s, early 80s. The turntable is in great condition as its hardly been used, but I can find no info on the arm. Does any one know (a) anything about them, (b) are they tweakable? I know I can upgrade the motor but am I throwing good money away if the arm is substandard?
Old 16th May 2005, 11:01 AM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I have a suspicion that the arm is the old Acos Lustre. In which case, it's quite high mass and would be best suited to a cheap moving coil cartridge (the Lustre had quite good bearings).
Old 16th May 2005, 03:38 PM   #3
padego is offline padego  Canada
diyAudio Member

thanks for the reply
It turns out that audioorigami has worked on several of these arms and has photos posted
I hope to start tinkering by the end of the month...
Old 17th May 2005, 07:05 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I've one of those. The arm is a reasonable but pretty off-the-shelf japanese arm, likely made in the CEC factory next to all the others.

It's not an RB250 but isn't bad.

dave
Old 18th May 2005, 05:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I bought my Linn LP12 in 1975 with this arm fitted. At the time it was called the Rega RB200. I am just replacing it with a modified OL1.

I used the RB200 with a variety of cartridges includign Dynavector MCs and Roksan MMs. They all work well.

Barry
Old 25th May 2005, 08:36 PM   #6
PierreG is offline PierreG  Canada
diyAudio Member

It is an RB200. It was a good tonearm for its price in 1978. But it is not close to a RB250 and even farther from an RB300....It is now a substandard tonearm.
Old 25th May 2005, 08:48 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Years ago I bought a Rega 2 with the RB200 arm. IMO the arm was a lot better than the table. Rega claimed it had lower friction than the contemporary SME. It was rather low mass, and it should be just fine with any of a number of moving magnets.
Old 25th May 2005, 09:01 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PierreG
not close to a RB250 and even farther from an RB300...
many would say an RB250 has more potential than an RB300... my buddy sold his RB300 to get a 250 (and then rewired, added teflon/brass counterweight and telfon beraing bolt + more)

dave
Old 25th May 2005, 09:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

sorry - the rb 200 is/was crap. I had it with my transcriptors for years - heavy, but even on slightly warped lp's it was jumping all over the place. Used it with an ortofon mm system m 20 super or so. If that system was maybe a little stiffer than todays, that arm still despite its mass was not able to control it.

And - it was sold seperately as the ACOS and people selling it on ebay try to convince buyers by claiming it to be "highend" or high quality.

No comparison to the rb 300 - which I have modified with the origin live kit - wiring and new and better mounted counterweight.
Old 25th May 2005, 09:22 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'm happy with mine (especially for the price -- $105 CAD with Rega II & Grado F3)... working on a swap for a Linn Basik thou.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!