curved rega tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks
I have an option to buy an older rega p2 with the above early tonearm. I believe its from the late 70s, early 80s. The turntable is in great condition as its hardly been used, but I can find no info on the arm. Does any one know (a) anything about them, (b) are they tweakable? I know I can upgrade the motor but am I throwing good money away if the arm is substandard?

sorry - the rb 200 is/was crap. I had it with my transcriptors for years - heavy, but even on slightly warped lp's it was jumping all over the place. Used it with an ortofon mm system m 20 super or so. If that system was maybe a little stiffer than todays, that arm still despite its mass was not able to control it.

And - it was sold seperately as the ACOS and people selling it on ebay try to convince buyers by claiming it to be "highend" or high quality.

No comparison to the rb 300 - which I have modified with the origin live kit - wiring and new and better mounted counterweight.

audio-kraut said:
sorry - the rb 200 is/was crap. I had it with my transcriptors for years - heavy, but even on slightly warped lp's it was jumping all over the place. Used it with an ortofon mm system m 20 super or so. If that system was maybe a little stiffer than todays, that arm still despite its mass was not able to control it.

Your arm or cartridge must have been defective. I used the Ortofon M15ES and I had none of the problems you experienced.

I'm not saying the RB200 is as good as an RB250 or 300. But it's good enough for a P2 and a MM. I'd use the table and arm and save my pennies to upgrade both.

This is primarily for fun, I have a gyrodec with a modified rega 600 and a decent mc cartridge. I guess it's more to experiment and learn what its all about. Personally I can read all about this stuff till I'm crosseyed but when I have it in pieces in front of me it starts to make sense, just the way my brain works.
I certainly dont think this will hold a candle to my beloved gyrodec but in the end I'll understand a lot more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.