The Max Rochlin Memorial Cable - FYI - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2002, 09:11 PM   #1
swede is offline swede  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default The Max Rochlin Memorial Cable - FYI

Hi,

No big deal. Just wanted you to see that I can do some nice stuff too. I always get so jeallous of Peter Daniel and his nice casings, so I had to contribute to the community as well... I've build a dozen or so signal cables and this is what it looks like:

Click the image to open in full size.

Check out how to build it here:

http://www.skip.informatik.gu.se/~km...s/max_rochlin/

or

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/etmcable.htm

Best regards,
//magnus
Old 2nd September 2002, 09:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default PIC

The picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008_close_up_klar_kabel.thmb.jpg (6.1 KB, 442 views)
Old 2nd September 2002, 09:18 PM   #3
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
HUmm good page thanks swede hey how come they put heat shrink over the rca cover..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008_close_up_klar_kabel1.jpg (13.0 KB, 445 views)
Old 2nd September 2002, 09:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Heat shrink over cover

Hi,

Thanks for asking!

I've done some extensive research on how the cable sound with and without the heat shrink shielding. Somehow the sound is so much more clear when I use the shielding, and when I did some measurements I came to the conclusion that it sounded even better with the shrink wrap that far up on the connector.

;=)

Sorry for the joke. But putting it on that way was just for the looks. No reason what so ever. Some of you guys probably don't like the heat shrink to go up that far, but I kind of like it.

Best regards,
//magnus
Old 2nd September 2002, 09:35 PM   #5
Banned

i doo to but you want to hear my idea since you started the topic and i was going to start is sooner but havent gooten any pics and parts yet..

well since i have cabel out my ying yan im going make use of it but since it loks horrible for colour im going to take mountian climbing rope and put the cabel throught it and then put shrink tube on the ends like yours.. but mine will have colour.. : O )

the cabel im using is not ccheap either..
Old 2nd September 2002, 09:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Mountain climbing rope

Kind of cool to use mountain climbing rope for protective shielding!

Way to go, man! Show us pictures when you're done!

//magnus
Old 2nd September 2002, 09:40 PM   #7
Banned

yeah is should look awsome and then ill do tha same for my speaker cable
Old 3rd September 2002, 12:12 AM   #8
Banned

Default Somehow the sound is so much more clear when I use the shielding

Try clear heatshink with a little hot melt glue under it. Also use braid that is smaller than the wire in it's unexpanded state so that it fits snugly;and use two or three layers of it. Digital cables can be tunend very effectively also with these constructions. Some of the stiff Colored braids sound better than the black braid. I have also used PVC tubing with good results on interconnect and digital cables.

H.H.
Old 3rd September 2002, 08:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

HH I think you're right! The tighter shielding you get, the better it sounds. I believe this is mostly true on digital cables, keeping more bits on the "inside", since some of the fastest bits othervise cut corners if the cable is bent.

The downside on using PVC tubing is that it cracks easily when you try to run too much music through them. I'd go for clear scotch tape instead.

;=) This thread is loosing it...

//magnus
Old 3rd September 2002, 09:11 AM   #10
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

HH,
the last thing i had expected from you is
Quote:
Colored braids sound better than the black braid.
kinda wire directionality stuff :dizzy: but i heared other's, famour Dieter Ennemoser among them claim the same. Unless i tried it out myself, i say "possible, maybe"

Magnus and all,
did you ever try out UNshielded cable? i mean, a twisted pair of enamelled copper wire, as thin as possible? Try it, as far as no shielding is needed concerning hum and noise, i always preferred it. I also had a homebrew phone cable, shielded, then i switched to unshielded which was considerably better. Same for line level interconnects.

I agree completey, cables are µphonic, singl strand cables even more. It is wise to keep them from moving, particularly to keep both condictors from moving against each other.

I used PTFE tubing to protect the ultra-thin twisted pair; i widen the ends of the tubing with my soldering iron at 355°C . Then i can attach RCA plugs with rip-off protection. An improvement which is thinkable but not yet tried out: pulling a wool thread into to tubing together with the wire, to keep the wire from moving.

Next time i have my camera hooked up, i post pixes.

Hide this!Advertise here!