The Max Rochlin Memorial Cable - FYI

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No Directionality Bias

Hi Peter, I have tried interconnects wired in either direction, and agree that one direction can sound better (different) than the other.
I found this non directional soloution to sound better than either.
Note my comment of better depth imaging - I ended up with clear sounds coming from miles behind the speakers, and sounds clearly from behind the listening position, and crowd sounds in the room and surrounding the listening position.
When I get a reel of phone wire and the time I will make a set of 12 pair speaker cables using non directional pairs method, and see what result.

Bernard, by definition, star quad means 4 wires interconnection, so 4 wires are used instead of 2 wires - I think the benefits of using non directional configured star quad using enamelled magnet wire to work very nicely.

Magnus, now you can make them sound nice too. :)

Jason, in my experiments (and others also) I have found wire to exhibit a subtle directional characteristic, despite many (ex spirts) around here saying that this is not possible.
When I asked a nuclear physicist friend about my observations, he replied that wire directional characteristic is to be expected.

Eric.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Woops… I forgot to turning my audio system backside front.
I will try this first and then I might go to the hearing clinic.
And, I would consider your last recommendation.
Thanks;)

Please continue. I am intersted in the reading about the cable.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hoo…I just managed to stop my laughing. You! Naughty man.

I use the interconnects made of two 0.4mm-dia silver-coated copper lines, Teflon-insulated and twisted. Length is 1.5m from the sources to the passive attenuator and 0.35m from the attenuator to my Zen V2. I like these when listening to Classic music.

From time to time, I replace them with the same interconnects as swede’s. This case is for Rock, Jazz, and Pop.

I gave my friends all other lidikillously nice and expensive interconnects, as gifts.

JH

You might be surprised with the results....

Peter, I have thought about but not yet tried the experiment of connecting an amplifier and driving into a power amp output terminal and connecting a high gain amp/speaker/cro to the power amplifier input terminal and see if there is any signal present (ie - any coupling from the amp output back to it's own input) - I suspect that this is likely and may help to account for some system cable dependencies, due to coupling of speaker back emf signals all the way back to the source component line level output stage.
Have you tried this ?

jh6you, Magnus specifies Belden cable - have you tried different cables ?.
Also different insulation on your silver plated copper 0.6mm strands ?
Ime you'll get different sounds due to different dielectrics.
Wire direction is an additional subtle factor ime.

Eric.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Eric

It is difficult to get Belden cable here. So, I use a cheap local coax cable equivalent to Belden 1506A.

Yes, I have experience with 0.6 mm pure copper strand and of normal insulation material, probably PVC or similar. For me, I prefer the silver-plated and Teflon-isulated, which offers somewhat brighter upper frequency sound.

I equally like the interconnects made of the coax cable and the twisted two lines with the siver-coated and Teflon-insulated.

Inside amps, I used 10mm-dia tin-plated wire, naked, for p2p wiring. Between wires, I give enough air space, considering the dielectrics and to reduce capacitance. If you look over inside my amps, you might laugh. Haha... I am a pure DIYer.

JH

Teflon Highs Yech

JH, glad you have tried different materials.
I reckon/agree that teflon gives a brighter/livelier HF sound but I find it unnatural and fatigueing.
Pvc gives a duller telephone sound but I prefer that, but best is no insulation ime.
Bernards use of close twisted wires with very thin enamel dielectric sounds to me like it ought to be very good - even better I reckon is to make them the non directional Star Quad setup I propose.

"Inside amps, I used 10mm-dia tin-plated wire, naked, for p2p wiring ..... you might laugh......"
Hey, I'd be seriously impressed. :)

Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.