The Max Rochlin Memorial Cable - FYI - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2002, 09:40 AM   #11
Account Disabled

Once, I have heard that one driver said to his wife
in the passenger seat, You know what that 30 is?
That means no more than 30 words per hour.
And, yeah...he said, PVC-tubing creates nice sound,
particularly when the PVC is of white color.
Old 3rd September 2002, 09:55 AM   #12
Banned

Default Colored braids sound better than the black braid

The colored braid I use is made from a stiffer material (some type of nylon I think). The same rational goes for the clear heat shrink which is is different material than the black. Just plain mechanical engineering, no magic.......

H.H.
Old 3rd September 2002, 01:28 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Sound Flavour

Bernard you should try making your interconnects totally non directional by making them in star star quad configuration, and the conductors as they come off the reel connecting active from the source to the load and back again, and the same for the neutral (or - phase) conductor.
If you twist this assembly carefully and preserve star quad configuration over the length of the cable, I am sure that you will notice a nice difference.
Years ago I had this setup between my cdp and power amp that were in fixed positions, and this allowed me to use exact length interconnect wires (1mm diameter 6 nines purity copper with silver plating) soldered directly to the plugs sticking out the back of them.
The wires were diagonally about 4mm apart.
I tried a polyethylene filler rod down the middle and wrapped with white teflon plumbers tape or standard office sticky tape, with and without thin teflon insulation sleeves (of 2 different colours) on each of the 4 conductors per channel, and with all conductors in either direction.
I found the 3 teflons to impart a definite sound character, as did the cellotape.
The best however was without any filler rod and the 4 bare wires placed in space in the direction cancelling and star quad arrangement.
After fitting and experimenting with these interconnects is when this system really came to life and gave fantastic depth imaging, and even sounds from behind.
I did not try the experiment of closely twisting the wires (because I did not like the sounds of the insulations/dielectrics), but I expect this should work nicely with your thin enamelled wires, but in your case you will be at least doubling shunt capacitance and halfing series resistance, and a lessening of series inductance.
This in itself will likely change line level source to load characteristics, but this may be a good experiment for your self to guage wire directional characteristic or not, and open the mind.

Harry, I think the effects you describe are more than mechanical stiffness.
I have found different sounds with different coloured otherwise same tubings - this is an effect due to change in dielectric properties due to differing pigmenting materials I am sure.
Black plastics commonly contain a cadmium compound, white commonly titanium compound - red I dunno.
I do know that I won't drink out of black plastic or porcelain though.

Regards, Eric.
Old 3rd September 2002, 02:05 PM   #14
Banned

Default Harry, I think the effects you describe are more than mechanical stiffness

Mechanical properties like stiffness and loss. The electric field is in between the center conductor and the shield, so material outside
shield has very little effect on dielectric. Mechanical damping is pretty big deal on most cables. Try it....
Old 3rd September 2002, 03:09 PM   #15
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Eric,
Quote:
I do know that I won't drink out of black plastic or porcelain though. Regards, Eric.
I would. My preferred teapot also comes in porcelaine noir. Too expensive, but looks gorgeous. As we both are now guilty of threadjacking, Harry can enthuse about putting us into sin bin

To your cable: you lost me, you overloaded my imagination. If you did not have your tongue in cheek, please post a drawing, 3D perspective style please
Old 3rd September 2002, 04:49 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Field Effects

Hi Bernard consider this.
Assign a direction to segments of wire cut from a reel, with names such as the cut end and the reel end.
Now I mean that the active connection should constitute 2 wires consecutivly cut from the reel and connected in reverse wrt each other.
The same process for the neutral connection.
Now place these 4 wires in star quad configuration (the 2 active wires placed diametrically opposite, and the 2 neutral wires diametrically opposite but placed 90* wrt the active wires.
Now whilst keeping this star quad arrangement twist one end (4 wires together) to make a twisted star quad interconnect.
In my experience this will remove (cancel) any wire directional characteristic, and give really nice depth imaging.

Harry, I agree that tight cable does make a profound sonics difference, and I expect that dielectric properties are altered by compression, but this is not thge only factor.
In my experience proximity of different materials outside the braid can also make a sonics difference, repeatably and reliably.

Regards, Eric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg directional.jpg (5.9 KB, 173 views)
Old 3rd September 2002, 06:50 PM   #17
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Eric,
hmmh interesting but how can i make this single strand? ...Yanno, i follow the single strand religion.
Old 3rd September 2002, 07:44 PM   #18
swede is offline swede  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Holy cheeze...

I never suspected this when I started the thread. I just wanted to show a simple way to make a simple cable look nice. ;=)

Well, I'll just post it under useful tools and techniques"...

Have a good one!
//magnus
Old 3rd September 2002, 09:02 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Eric,

Usually one direction in a wire sounds better than the opposite. Wouldn't it be better to check which direction sounds better in the beginning and then using only two wires take advantage of it?

The solution you propose seems good for people who cannot decide which direction sounds better.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 4th September 2002, 12:25 AM   #20
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
i know this migh be a stupid question but is there realy directional cable for singnal .. i would think that cable is cable but i never heard of bi-directional cable.. ( no need to start war but i never new that)

j'

Hide this!Advertise here!