test calibraton tapes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2005, 07:44 PM   #1
pazh is offline pazh  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default test calibraton tapes

Does anybody know were to get calibration tapes for cassette deck?
Old 2nd May 2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

What exactly do you need? I used to make 'master' tapes myself on a good tape deck, 1k, 5k, 10k or so, and managed to tune the decks rather well.

/Hugo
Old 25th May 2005, 11:55 AM   #3
pazh is offline pazh  Germany
diyAudio Member

I mean speciale mechanical ajustment cassetes
Old 25th May 2005, 11:57 AM   #4
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, never heard of them.
Anyone?

/Hugo
Old 25th May 2005, 04:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

These mechanical alignment tapes are recorded single track the full width of the tape with a test signal. You look at the reproduce outputs on a dual trace scope and adjust the repro head azimuth so the two output signals are in phase. That aligns the playback head. You then put on a blank tape and record the same signal on both tracks while You adjust the record head azimuth so the outputs are in phase.

These alignment tapes used to be available in the electronics catalogs, but I haven't seen one for years. There must be some company that still produces them, because the electronics shops could not do a mechanical alignment without one. Do a search on the internet.
Regards,
Ray
Old 25th May 2005, 04:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Try these guys. If they can't get any they will surely be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/index.ht..._calalign.html

Good luck. Pro Cal tapes are easy to get still, but cassettes are a little difficult.

Greg
Old 25th May 2005, 04:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

A further thought. I have a Nakimichi 1000 cassett deck. You might ask Nakimichi if they have alignment tapes.
Regards,
Ray
Old 15th June 2005, 11:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi,
you can get calibration tapes here:

http://www.almedio.co.jp/cassette.html
http://www.teac.co.jp/testmedia/cas.html
http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/basftapes.html

but still it depends on what type of deck you have. Nnakamichi decks for example (the earlier ones) use the older equalization standard. That`s why if you have Nakamichi deck you should try to get Nakamichi cal tapes. You need only 4 tapes to calibrate a nack. They are somewhat difficult to find and in used condition. For other types of decks you can get other types of cal tapes but consult your service manual first. Of cource you can get non-nak tapes also for a nakamichi deck but you should use different calibration procedures from what the nak manual says in order to be successful.
Also, you will first have to make mechanical adjustments bevore you calibrate with tapes. It is important to adjust your speed, your tape guides, tension and other things before beginning a calibration with a cal tape. You will need also aditional tools to measure some things. Generally, if your transport mechanics are not ok or out of tune you are not going to get very good results. It is amazing but improper tape tension and bad or worn pinch roller affect quite a lot the performance of a deck ...
Best regards,
Plamen
Old 18th June 2005, 01:30 AM   #9
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

You can only calibrate a Nak with Nak test tapes. Early tapes were out of phase in the high end, they fixed that problem. Teac test tapes work well for most machines. The dolby level tape was a different level than specified for Pioneer and some others. Eq. was the same.

Before attempting a calibration, the condition of the head and transport is critical. T/U tenson and tape path will damage a test tape if they are out. I assume the heads are demagnitized. Once the basics are addressed you set the playback characteristics, then the record. Use a fresh blank of your particular brand to do this. TDK SA was the standard tape most machines were calibrated to. Maxell will be 4~5 dB hotter in the highs with new heads.

You can not make your own cal tapes. The guard bands will mess up the levels as test tapes are full track with the exception of Nak's head height tapes. They are full track with gaps were the head gaps should be, so you tune for "minimum smoke".

-Chris
Old 18th June 2005, 01:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, I was always wondering how and with what mashines the test tapes are recorded. Somebody told me that the industry uses Nakamichi ZX-7 mostly for this purpose. But I think that at least they use special heads or special transports. I`ve also seeen somewhere that the machines with wich tey record test tones have special means to adjust the azimuth of the recording heads so that it is in-phase. So I don`t have enough information but I would want to set up such a mashine at home and make CAL tapes. Why not ? Any suggestions ?
Best regards ...
Plamen

Hide this!Advertise here!