Technics SL-1700 tweaks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm seriously considering a jump into the world of moving coil cartridges. After some search I feel it is best to address something else first.:

My Technics SL-1700 turntable.
Would I be making a silk purse from a sow's ear? :scratch:
I am concerned that my TT & arm will not allow me to realize the benefits of a better cartridge.
Can my current table be modded to provide an adequate platform for a MC cartridge?
Your comments, Please.

With an MC cardridge, every TT changes... ;)

That said, any Technics player without MkII in it's name (i.e. without a Quartz-PLL to stabilize the regulation, the non-MkII types 'only' use platter update servo regulation) won't be the optimal platform to advance from.

But as your MC cardridge will only 'depend' on the mounting shell, I don't think that you'd strictly have to have an optimum platter to start from. You could even aquire a cardridge now and modify/swap the player later.

My personal opinion: while the change from MM to MC will definitely change/improve the sound on your SL-1700, a signifiantly better player with a good MM system might give you an even greater overall performance increase.

But that's a subjective point of view. ;)

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.