Turntable spindle sizes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a list of turntables manufactured with a spindle diameter of .288" (7.2 mm). Yes, I know it's not exactly a DIY question but then again if you are in the process of designing your own table the spindle diameter is another one of those decisions you will be making.

I sure can't disagree with you, it is a mystery to me as well. I bought an overhang adjustment tool some time back and had to pick my spindle size (I picked the small size). That's when I learned the AR XA spindle is .288 inch. I now have an AR EB101 and it is .282 inch (I don't believe it's worn down that much from vinyl sliding over it). Some or possibly all Rek-O-Kut tables have .288" spindles and there are others.

The reason I am seeking this information is because I machine and sell novelty 45-RPM spindle adapters and some customers simply can't get the .282 adapter (actually machined to the high side of .283 to compensate for the + .001 tolerance) to fit. Thus it would be nice to have that information.

In the process of making the adapters I have discovered there is considerable variation in the hole size of 45's just from wear and do not want to add even more runout from the spindle hole. People have rightly accused me of being picky about such things.

I do recal there are at least 2 standards, and probably 3, but can'r remember what the values are. Some LP cleaning devices here have two diameter settings, but the designer said one of the diameter serring can be used on LPs of two different sizes, which I presume is the size difference due to English and Metric standards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.