Professional to Consumer line level converion and back! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2005, 11:44 AM   #1
bans25 is offline bans25  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Professional to Consumer line level converion and back!

OOps I accidently posted this to Digital section.

Hi all,

I am new to playing in the audio / video world so forgive me if I ask dumb questions! .

Currently I am using a TI AIC23 ( http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlv320aic23b.pdf ) audio codec with consumer line level inputs and outputs.

What I need to do is make a PCB that will convert these I/O's to interface with Professional equipment (+4dbu).

So I need to PAD the input to the codec (Professional line level ----> Consumer line level) and then I need
to amplify the output of the codec (Consumer line level ----> Professional line level)

Of course this all needs to fit on a PCB 3" x 3" and be low noise!

anyone have any ideas?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Old 2nd April 2005, 09:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Schematics on the inet or readily available

Hello ban25,

I did something similar some years ago when I needed to run some 25 mts of audio cable - line level - from one room to another. You may try some googling under unbalanced to balanced audio driver or ... converter/circuit.
I have somewhere a link... Anyway, the 2 circuits consist of an unb/bal conv. and vice-versa; they are built around op-amps TL071/72 types and if powered by dual +/- 18 volts it gives a nice headroom. Like that the cable run can go up to 200 mts (yes you need to make the ft! conv. - SI applies!) You can also go the expensive way and get those modules from www.rdl.net (radio design labs, USA)

Good luck in your projects.

Mario
Old 2nd April 2005, 09:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default unbal - bal - unbal

Rod Eliot has just the info you are looking for.

I suggest you have a look at his excellent site.

http://sound.westhost.com/index.html

Checkout projects 51 and 87 under "preamps and accessories"

Rod can supply you with the necessary PCB's.

Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!