A really dumb open reel tape question.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, this is sad, but it is actually a good question.

I'm sitting here with a TEAC A-3340S and a pile of old 7" reels and one 10" reel of Ampex 456.

I've just thought of the idea that the oxide surface must face the tape head. Looking at all the old tapes I have, the surface normally run across the head is the dark oxide looking surface.

Now, on my ampex 456 reel, I've noticed that the shiny brown side of the tape has been running across the head while the dark matte surface is out.

I'm thinking now that somehow I've been using my ampex tape inside out???

Well, I was just interested any specifications and technical information I can find.

Also, the bias and EQ controls elude me. They simply have settings 1 and 2 respectively, instead of something more specific.

I was also wondering what to do about heads; they show uneven wear, the heavier wear being on the third and fourth track end of the heads. It still sounds fairly even, but I can tell that especially on the fourth track, the fidelity is weak. I suppose basically that I would like to get a new set of heads soon so that I can experience the full standard of the unit.

The blanking head seems to be fine, but definitley the record and PB heads are running out of life.

One last question about the machine, I find that after rewind or fast forward, there's a delay before it will do playback. Was this normal? Or is my machine acting up? (The delay is regular, it always takes the same time for the relay to click back so I can hit play.) (Perhaps I have a sticking relay, I had that in a radio once.)

Thanks. ;)

Hmmmmm, can't tell if that is too long or not; as I don't have any plastic reels or 7 inch reels.... only 10.5 inch metal. They shift from high speed reverse to play or high speed other direction with no delay only a timed braking curve. This is on an equivalent Tascam machine (semi-pro version of the Teac 3300 SX)

Cyclotronguy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Duo,
I used to warranty Teac and Tascam. The delay is designed in. Parts for these are scarce.

Call Teac at (905) 890-8008. Talk to Philip in service, he is the current service manager. He'll tell you how to best proceed. Note that these machines can get "green grease syndrome". The original grease gets stiff, like glue. Strip and clean time. Check bearings and replace all rubber while you are there. These can be calibrated to be amazingly flat, normally to about 22Khz with 456. You'd best use the original Teac heads if you can.

Netlist,
Your Revox (warranty on those too) is a great machine. I liked the B-77 better than the A-77, PR-99 was really cool. Great machines. Tantalum cap problems on the A's, rectifiers on the PR-99. WE used to install bearings instead of the fixed metal rings in the tape path.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.