tonearm annoyance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there people

I think my constant tweaking has cocked something up ..... I have a systemdek 2X with an acrylic platter and an RB250 with Michell tecno weight and goldring 1042GX.
I have recently rewired it with 30AWG siver plated wire. all in all things sound fine to me.. But I am concerned about the arm being pulled to the right too much. It is most noticable towards the end of the record. I have no anti bias on . I used to fine tune things by putting the needle on inbetween the records playing out track and adjusting so that the needle stayed stationary and until the groove moved from the right to left and picked it up. Adjusting so it didnt fly off to the right. I hadnt done this since the rewire and tried to watch the needle fly off to the right and no amount of tweaking helps.

I have checked the chassis with a spirit level and then adjusted the platter to with a spirit level. I have checked that the wire in the tonearm hasnt got too much tension. Re set the weight.

Any advice would be very helpfull.
regards
dave

Maybe the arm was not doing the right thing when you started.I seem to recall that the Rega arm has to have a drift to the right- i.e off the platter.This is the way it is designed to operate correctly to work properly with the Rega anti-bias mechanism.The other issue could be the gauge of the tonearm wire you are using.The best gauge is about 32/33 awg for the arm I think.Anyway there is plenty of info on the RB250 over at the Vinyl Asylum archives.

Hi, I've found that the Regas seem to be very sensitive to the way the wire is dressed as it passes down the vertical tub and through the brass base.

A couple of suggestions:
You may need to do no more than twist the plug at the bottom of the base clockwise a bit and possibly allow a bit more slack in the wires. The arm wires should have some slack in the base.

Otherwise, it's possible that there is a rough edge on the bottom of the vertical bearing tube that is catching the wires, maybe even a bit of the locktite that Rega use so much of. This is harder to fix once the arm's wired up. Again, more slack in the wires might help. I always try to radius and polish each end of that tube when the arm is apart to avoid this problem.

regards. Jeff

Thanks for the replies. I am re assesing the wire I used . It is thin 30awg but does have a bit of memory. I am getting some cardas braided wire that I am going to replace the wire with. The current silver plated copper wire sounds nice. Maybe a bit bright but very detailed. I hope the cardas isnt downgrading too much. I am learning alot in the process so Its all good. I just hope I havent damaged my needle.
regards
dave

Arm resistance encountered

This sounds like a good place to raise my RB250 annoyance question - might give rise to the same reply. Just acquired a used one on ebay and notice the arm displays resistance when about two thirds of the way across the record causing skips. I raise the arm and can feel an almost inertial or "gummy" resistance to lateral movement. I do not notice this at the beginning of the record. This arm is on a NAD 533.

hi m8ty
i just done a rb250 rewire and photot shoot on my web site
check it out for info on the rb250

i used new solid silver TEFLON coated ultra thin wire....this has little memeory and the teflon is super slippery

also on the arm i just found a new earth point was needed ....rega copper strip is very weak and not the best earth i have seen

the anti skat seemed to be a magnet arrangement ...and not a spring...its possible your magnet has come lose or has dirt on it...or the bearings have dirt/grit in them?

best wishes
j7

:smash:

This is a dumb suggestion, but the rega antiskate control operates oppositely from almost all others -- as far from the arm as you can get is off (or close to it) and the closer towards the arm the control is, the greater the antiskating. Made exactly that mistake myself, so I always suggest checking to make sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.