Kofi Annan in: "UpGrado Haiku"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK-- I know that I've a few this evening and all, but I think its about time you engineers had a real challenge. Sure, I could go ahead and simply ask if I should upgrade my phono cartridge and I know I'd get a lot of great answers.

This particular evening, however, finds your Kofi Annan with a little too much booze left over from last night's party and he's feeling creative.

So here's the deal:

I will ask questions concerning the upgrade of my phono cartridge in Haiku and you will all respond in kind. Its your standard 5-7-5 syllable structure-- no big deal for guys who have studied the effects of secondary emission on pentode constant current sources, right?

You're allowed to have multiple Haikus in your response, but they must all adhere to the 5-7-5 rule. Violators will suffer the unfortunate fate of having a Mrs. Annan Jell-O mold sent to your residence. Parcel post, no less.

OK. Here goes:

Got some monoblocks
Single-ended 2A3s
Foreplay line stage too

Grado Black is nice
Musical, sweet and lovely
Could be sweeter, though

Grado Green: maybe...
What about the Gold? Could be...
Advice is needed

TT is a nice
Thorens TD one-sixty
Needs a proper mate

Kofi's at a loss
Building Thorsten's Phono Pre
What cartridge is best?

Could go as high as
One-hundred fifty U.S.
For a new MM

Kofi

Konnichiwa,

Kofi Annan said:
So far, no help here
Can anyone recommend
The Grado Gold or Green?

I have never gooten on with Grados. I dislike them rather strongly. pleasent enough sound but no involvelemt. In fact, I do not like many MM's at all... ;-)

Given that a headamp can be rigged up for very little money (2SK170 J-Fets are < $ 1 each if shop around) and the Denon DL-103 Cartridge is one of the very few, regardless of price that is actually capable of an accurate reproduction of the vast majority of records, it comes with the highest recommendation, UNLESS you own many post mid 1980's Audiophile pressings.

Oh yes, if you want a really good pickup, here is what to look for:

Spherical Stylus or VERY GENTLE elliptical chape. Avoid as much as you can any hyperelliptical shape stylii. They simply do not work in reality.

Alnico Magnets.

Sayonara

Konnichiwa,

phn said:
Kuei Yang Wang, how bout the MM Denon? If it's only half as good as the DL-103...

MM Cartridges have by far to many inherent design problems to lend themselves to high fidelity applications. Grado's are marginally better, but only because the coil inductance is kept lowish.

phn said:
My favourite MM cart is Goldring. I had a 1022 on my Thorens TD-320.

The GR's are okay but very load sensitive.

Sayonara

Kofi Annan said:

You're allowed to have multiple Haikus in your response, but they must all adhere to the 5-7-5 rule. Violators will suffer the unfortunate fate of having a Mrs. Annan Jell-O mold sent to your residence. Parcel post, no less.

Kofi

While listening to one of the best systems I ever heard the host's wife served her specialty, Chocolate mousse made with Jello instant pudding and Coolwhip. The cart that night was a Koetsu Rosewood so that doesn't fit in your budget.

SY - what's in that instant pudding stuff that does the exothermic reaction, creepy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.