Phonoclone Update

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
To the beta-testers particularely,

I worked on the layout a little to incorporate some of your suggestions.

1. Bigger resistors can be used. 12.5mm spacing, type 0309, which I take to be 1/2W. Of course smaller ones can be used in the space.

2. Optional use of a film output coupling cap. Model shows Wima MKP4 22.5mm lead spacing.

3. The RIAA caps shown are WIMA FKP2, Probably the MKP or MKS series are a better fit from a package dimension point of view, being thinner.

4. Bypass caps shown are Panasonic FC, 25V 100uF. Since I know many of you want to add more capacitance, I`ll see what can be done here. I was going to make the lead spacing 3.5mm on the input at least, but putting the metric component in my 0.1" grid was not pretty, so I left it for now.

5. While I dont think moving the regulators off the board is a good idea, it can easily be made an option, just by bridging the in and out voltage traces of the unused regulator socket holes.

6. After all that messing about, however, the board size is now 3 inches square. Choice doesn't come free...

Richard

Attachments

• pc14.zip
    41.4 KB · Views: 180

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Phonoclone Beta Final Version

In case those of you who didn't sign up for the Beta-testing program are wondering how it came out. The boards, which will be made by Olimex, will be exactly half a eurocard, or 10x8cm.

-R

Attachments

• 15e final full sm.jpg
    15e final full sm.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,314

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
A couple of people have emailed me asking if PCBs are available.

The answer depends on the date you read this. I am taking orders until Saturday, April 30th, 2005. I will only have as many boards made as there are orders, so please don't email me later asking if any are left over because there wont be.

-R

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll let the first batch run its course before giving a definite answer, but given the level of interest chances are we'll do it again. Also giving serious consideration to a dual mono VSPS on 1/4 eurocard for $15/pair, but I'm getting ahead of myself...

email/pm if you want to be notified

-R

Hi rjm,
on you website you state:
The impedance of the cartridge must be relatively constant over the audio band, however, or else the frequency response will deviate significantly from the manufacturers specification.
Do you - or anyone else-
happen to know which carts match your criteria, or vice versa, which not?
thx,
Rüdiger

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nope. Apart from the DL103, which I know is flat-ish from the little datasheet that came with it. But people with low output MC carts probably shouldn't be terribly concerned about the odd dip and rise in the response unless you're the type that calibrates against the load capacitance. More to the point I think is whether the resulting tonal balance works for you personally, or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.