Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2004, 10:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Anti-skating issues

Sorry if there are 2 post, I couldn't find the 1st one.

Anyway! Hi all, great site by the way!

Now my problem. I am a complete newbie to turntables so my apology if this seems a bit simplistic!

I have just got a pro-ject debut 2 and am having problems with the setting up of the anti skating weight. The manual states I need to bend the 'anti skating weight support hoop' as shown in the manual debut 2 manual but the diagram makes no sense (to me) and I donít want to bend the 'anti skating weight support hoop' to far. Does anyone have a pic of how it should be done?

A downforce tool??? was also supplied but no reference is made in the manual, how does this work? i.e. where do I put it??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ross
Old 15th December 2004, 11:37 PM   #2
moamps is offline moamps  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg phono.jpg (6.2 KB, 376 views)
Old 16th December 2004, 01:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that moamps, i'll give it a go!
Old 23rd December 2004, 08:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I wanted to post a new thread. Kept getting prompted to check the forums first. This must be the place I guess.

Every method of anti skate involves some compromise - no?
Wouldn't the most accurate and fully uncoupled strategy be to simply tilt the turntable? Perhaps develop a chart with degree of tilt corresponding to stylus pressure or effective tonearm/cartridge mass or some combination?

I'm hoping someone can explain the physics of why this is a bad idea.
Old 24th December 2004, 06:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluebeard
I wanted to post a new thread. Kept getting prompted to check the forums first. This must be the place I guess.

Took me ages to work out also Bluebeard but there is a tick box you have to click in to say you have checked the forums. It's in the top left of the page where you create a new thread and says Have you Searched?

Can't answer your other question for you though!
Old 24th December 2004, 10:06 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi, if you tilt the whole turntable a little, you can certainly get a side force on the arm, but won't it be constant across the whole of the record?

Most of the antiskate designs - the Rega magnets, string-and-weight or more elegant ones like the Graham pivoted weight allow the force to vary as the arm crosses the record.
I guess that this is not exact as maybe the precise amount of force needed will also vary as the tracking error goes down-up-down-up across the record, but it can be pretty close.

regards, Jeff
Old 24th December 2004, 05:21 PM   #7
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

In tilting the turntable you're assuming that the arm is unbalanced in the left/right plane. It may not be. Some arms are designed to be dynamically balanced in all planes. Conversely, a unipivot would certainly object to it and the turntable being tilted - it would almost certainly yaw.

Hide this!Advertise here!