Anti-skating issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry if there are 2 post, I couldn't find the 1st one.

Anyway! Hi all, great site by the way!

Now my problem. I am a complete newbie to turntables so my apology if this seems a bit simplistic!

I have just got a pro-ject debut 2 and am having problems with the setting up of the anti skating weight. The manual states I need to bend the 'anti skating weight support hoop' as shown in the manual debut 2 manual but the diagram makes no sense (to me) and I don’t want to bend the 'anti skating weight support hoop' to far. Does anyone have a pic of how it should be done?

A downforce tool??? was also supplied but no reference is made in the manual, how does this work? i.e. where do I put it??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ross

Attachments

• phono.jpg
    phono.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 440
I wanted to post a new thread. Kept getting prompted to check the forums first. This must be the place I guess.

Every method of anti skate involves some compromise - no?
Wouldn't the most accurate and fully uncoupled strategy be to simply tilt the turntable? Perhaps develop a chart with degree of tilt corresponding to stylus pressure or effective tonearm/cartridge mass or some combination?

I'm hoping someone can explain the physics of why this is a bad idea.

bluebeard said:
I wanted to post a new thread. Kept getting prompted to check the forums first. This must be the place I guess.

Took me ages to work out also Bluebeard but there is a tick box you have to click in to say you have checked the forums. It's in the top left of the page where you create a new thread and says Have you Searched?

Can't answer your other question for you though!

Hi, if you tilt the whole turntable a little, you can certainly get a side force on the arm, but won't it be constant across the whole of the record?

Most of the antiskate designs - the Rega magnets, string-and-weight or more elegant ones like the Graham pivoted weight allow the force to vary as the arm crosses the record.
I guess that this is not exact as maybe the precise amount of force needed will also vary as the tracking error goes down-up-down-up across the record, but it can be pretty close.

regards, Jeff

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
In tilting the turntable you're assuming that the arm is unbalanced in the left/right plane. It may not be. Some arms are designed to be dynamically balanced in all planes. Conversely, a unipivot would certainly object to it and the turntable being tilted - it would almost certainly yaw.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.