Kofi Annan in: "Turntable Troubles"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You might want to look into something like a "Platter Matter" to replace the original mat at some point.

Asked for and may receive a new mat / record clamp for Christmas.

Don't forget to correct the vertical tracking angle if you change mats.

Uhhh... I uhhh... really haven't aligned the VTA. I'm just kinda eyeballing it right now. The cartridge is aligned properly and the table is balanced, to the best of my ability, but the VTA... well... still need to do that.

Is it worth investing in one of those Rega VTA adjsuters? Will I destroy my record collection and rob myself of enjoyment if I don't meticulously adjust the VTA until later?

Kofi

Thoren Troubles

Ok Kofi I was reading your post today about your TD160 as I have had a 160 a TD146 and now I have a Thorens TD150mkII,you say that your table runs fast and faster with a new belt .Thorens belts are to tight it should be a total of 520mm to 530mm in lenght so what I did is put the belt on a 12" ruler overnight or for about 24 hours and that will help you also can adjust tilt of motor and you can get the speed right on also you can us a out board psu that is what I'm using a Project Speedbox .Now on to the tonearm on my TD150 I us a Rega RB250 that I got on ebay for $179.00 new 1 1/2 years ago I see RB250 on Audiogon all the time for $229.00 witch is a very good price
and for the money a very very good arm I love mine ,Hope as help Robert

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Thoren Troubles

Originally posted by rkay5
RB250... a very very good arm

and even better tweaked up...

dave

Attachments

• chris-regas.jpg
    chris-regas.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 172
Re: Thoren Troubles

rkay5 said:
Thorens belts are to tight it should be a total of 520mm to 530mm in lenght so what I did is put the belt on a 12" ruler overnight or for about 24 hours and that will help you also can adjust tilt of motor and you can get the speed right on also you can us a out board psu that is what I'm using a Project Speedbox .

I figured out that you could adjust the tilt of the motor to adjust the speed, so things are definitely better, but still not perfect. I'll eventually splurge for an outboard TT motor, but I've got my hand in a speaker project right now (Swan D-101a). Couple that with some work issues that need attention (Iranian nuclear proliferation) and I've become a busy man.

Thanks for the reply!

Kofi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.