Tangential Arm Floating Magnets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have never seen it, but have been pondering along these lines myself,,-- something like a Ladegaard with magnetic V-grooves...
Was thinking about an experiment, as I have a bunch of Nd magnets lying around.
With a strong field in the bottom permanent V and some lighter magnets floating atop...

I wonder though, if a contraption like this would affect the PU ??

NdFeB arcs

There are very strong NdFeB magnets that are arc shaped, polarized N/S on their curved faces. They can be used to assemble two concentric cylinders with opposing fields to produce a gap - one long magnetic cylinder on the bearing shaft, and short ring on the tone arm joint - you would have a frictionless bearing. BUT you would also have very strong magnetic fields near your cartridge, and hence would likely need some "C" shaped magnetic shielding around the bearing shaft.

One could also wrap a small coil of wire on the edge of the arm joint that could run a small DC current to create a linear motor for anti skating.

Attachments

• arc_1000_875_45_1000_n.jpg
    arc_1000_875_45_1000_n.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 665
I saw a demonstration of magnetic levitation on TV which used servo controlled electromagnets suspended above permanent magnets. The feedback system corrected the tendancy to stick to one side or the other. I think they used a microcontroller, but a linear system may be possible. It's possible, but getting this to work would be a project-and-a-half in itself.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.