VHS vs CD quality - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2004, 03:11 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you buy music on tape, or how do you get it onto tape in the first place?
Sorry to mislead you Jennice. This was just an opinion regarding analogue tape - i only listen to vinyl.

Years ago a friend of mine used to take a Sony proffessional cassette recorder to concerts and make his own binaural recordings with a silly looking 'head' with mike ears. These recordings were absolutely amazing on his electrostatic headphones and very, very good on his (and mine) diy electrostatic speakers. Way better than cd could possibly sound and in many important ways better than my vinyl rig at the time.
Old 30th November 2004, 04:01 PM   #12
Jennice is offline Jennice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

analog_sa,

I think I know what kind of head you mean. The ones manufactured by Brel and Kjr are called HATS (Head And Torso Simulator).

I'm engineer, too, and thus I can't ignore your tag-line...
>>>The problem with professional engineers is they are born without ears. Not their fault. That makes the evaluation by listening pretty hard.

Very well said by Elso<<<

A very broad claim, which he should either keep for himself, or be more specific about. If professional engineers always used their ears in stead of science, there would be no such thing as an objective measurement for reference. This would give room for even more ultra high-end hoax stuff (such as more than $100 wood knobs, which should give a tremendous improvement in sound quality if used as replacement for the original volume knob. (I saw this add from a real shop!)
The knob's special coating should give improved mechanical resonance patterns, which improved the sound! )

Also, if it wasn't for ear-less engineers, there would be no such thing as dynamic-range measurements, which you guys happily refer to!

Jennice
Old 30th November 2004, 05:03 PM   #13
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Also, if it wasn't for ear-less engineers, there would be no such thing as dynamic-range measurements, which you guys happily refer to!
Actually, the only one to mention dynamic range in this thread was me, and I am an Engineer (oh the horror!).
Old 6th April 2013, 04:58 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Berry
VHS HI Fi is completely analog ... frequency modulation.
Yes Frank... I love my VCR!!!

I am an avid VHS collector,i have many movies i have loved over the years..... It is getting hard finding VHS movies these days that have NOT BEEN DIGITALLY COMPROMISED!

Many movies are being REDONE and "Digitally Mastered" on VHS and look/sound like crap!! -- Seems all this GOOD analog media is being destroyed and its sad......

I dont understand how people can say to me "VHS LOOKS LIKE CRAP COMPARED TO BLU-RAY" -- Im sorry but VHS looks quite super to me!!!!!!! (Much better than anything digital) -- An Analog picture and sound CANNOT BE BEAT!! -- I am glad to have the mind and sense to realise what really IS better!

I goto thrift stores alot and get movies I like,records,etc......... Finally getting SP/COMPLETLY Analog copies of movies i have loved for years IS QUITE A TREAT!!!!! (Trouble is most of them have been either "Digitally Mastered" or Digitally Processed somehow and the quality is not as good.... I ordered a copy of THE GOONIES from amazon but it was "Digitally Processed" and looked like garbage!!!! -- I got rid of it.... I dont wanna view such a fine movie like that IN THAT CONDITION!! (If i cant get it totally digital free,I DONT WANT IT)
Old 7th April 2013, 10:43 PM   #15
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

I encouraged my brother-in-law to just this. Even off air the recordings were very good. Yes analog tape has it's fans and of all the tape types and players a HiFi VHS or similar Betamax (which is superior to VHS any day of the week) with good quality tape can be very satisfying.

If reel to reel can have fans (and command high prices for new or rebuilt machines), why can't these tape formats. A Dolby C encoded well recorded tape played back on a good machine gets the sounds just about right, but not like a reel to reel or Betamax/VHS hiFi machine.
Old 8th April 2013, 02:15 AM   #16
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

We appear to be going back in time......

Dude111, forget VHS, Laser Disc is where it's at. Want some? And a good Sony player?
Analog all the way. No bandwidth compromises like VHS.
Old 8th April 2013, 02:52 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

VHS Hi-Fi audio is heavily companded (2:1 dbx type) and pre-emphasised. It requires precise matching of the tracking of the compressor and expander, which is rare when the tape is played back on a machine other than the one it was recorded on. And the reason it requires this processing is because the underlying mechanism (tape transport, head switching) makes the basic audio transport unstable and noisy. For example, if your tape tracking is off or the FM signal off the tape is low, you'll hear a "purring" noise in the background. This is the head switching...

(Tape transport speed variations are what cause "wiggling" in vertical lines in the picture. Head switching isn't seen in normal playback because it occurs in the blanking period between video fields.)

As for Laser Disc, only the early discs had FM audio. It wasn't that great because of the lack of error correction. The later ones had CD-spec PCM audio.

Hide this!Advertise here!