Shelter cartridge loading - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2004, 12:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Shelter cartridge loading

Hello,
I recently purchased a Shelter 501 and I'm about to start experimenting with cartridge loading.
The Shelter manual states the DC resistance at 12 ohms, and suggests the recommended load impedance as follows.

Step up trans within 20 ohms.
Head apmplifier within 100 ohms.
High gain EQ amplifier within 47K ohms.

I will be using a (47K ohm) Hagerman Cornet phonostage with some Lundahl LL9206 step up transformers set at the 1:10 ratio with 20db's of gain.

According to the specs above I could go down to within 20 ohms. I've done a bit of reading in the archives and it seems a lot of people are loading the 501's at around 100 ohms with various step up transformers.

Can some of you kind folks tell me where you are loading yours, and maybe comment on the differents in sound above and below the 100 ohm norm.

Thanks, Frank
Old 18th November 2004, 04:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm running it at 10 ohm (ortofon T20) and it sounds very nice (A lot better than my Sony SACD and also a lot better than my other cartridge AT-OC9ML )

Hide this!Advertise here!