Whr to buy VINYL records?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there guys,

I was looking for some information as to where can I buy vinyl records in Canada Toronto .I live in Brantford .

Where's the best place and method to buy a few.
should i buy from ebay as whole sale or any suggestions.

I am just so keen in this vinyl sound ,want to try how it sounds. And also I came across some cool DIY turntables in this forum, really impresses me.

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanx,

tony.

Hi,
Regarding the purchase of LP's -
1. Check your local Sally Ann
2. Ebay is a good choice, but only buy from sellers with at least 30 positive feedbacks and those that assess their records only mint when still sealed. Once played is only near mint.
3. Check google, there are still alot of vendors out there selling new pressings. Or look to stereophile - lots of links there

Good luck hunting

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Well, I don't know if this will be helpful, but I'll give it a try. Some of the best vinyl in history is being made right now and is available from companies like acoustic sounds and red trumpet online. eBay is a great resource, but has it's risks. I've bought quite a few records on eBay, and only rarely have I been disappointed. Use some common sense and you'll be fine.

As far as local sources go, I recommend thrift stores and garage sales. You never know what you'll find and it's almost always cheap... You spend the time, and eventually something cool will cross your path. But it takes patience, and it helps to know what you're looking for...

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Ah, 'tis a truly wonderful thing...

I like the smell, myself. It may sound strange, but there you are...

Totally different than the smell of used records. Usually with used records you get the smell of a musty basement - and the knowledge that you may be the only person on the planet right now listening to THIS vinyl pressing of this recording. New records have a different smell, and the feel of when you pull them out of the sleeve is... well, different.

I'm such a hedonist...

:)

vmike said:

If ever i need a new car desperately i'll put my Salsa album collection on Gemm.
If i read this Gemm right, the number of +$100 Ray Baretto LP's i have is already good for a couple of tickets to the tropics
I seem to have a Ruben Blades album that is worth 800 bucks.
Lock me up guys, i am sniffing my gold tonight ! :clown:

It's worth mentioning "The Record Collector".

I just discovered them a couple of weeks ago, because they are right near where I live. They have about half a million LPs in stock, most in outstanding condition. It's all worthwhile stuff, not junk like you find in thrift stores. They guarantee satisfaction.. if you order and don't like the record, they will take it back, so it's low risk. It's a phenomenal collection.

It works best if you know what you want, or at least what kind of thing you want. They don't seem keen on letting you just browse, although they will if pressed. It's a little odd.. nothing is labelled on the shelves, but they seem to know exactly where everything is.

They seem to average about $20 for a good album, in excellent condition. I bought a copy of Sheffield Labs "Italian Pleasures" (Michael Newman, classical guitar, direct to disc) for $35, in excellent condition.

They have a website, but no catalog. You have to ask for something specific, or for them to recommend something in a particular genre, etc.

The Record Collector

As a bonus, if you shop in person, you get to listen to your record through their JBL Paragon, which occupies most of the front of the store.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.