DJs and Technics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I dunno, but my 1210MKII with (mediocre) shure M44-7 playing Paul Van Dyk's "words" is one of the most clear, detailed listening experiences I've ever had, in terms of electronic music (due also to the excellent pressing quality). I don't know what it's like for something like classical music, though.

but yeah, the popularity is due to the DJ market requiring a solid, reliable, decent turntable with lots of torque, and without feedback problems, its not an audiophile market.

davesaudio said:
Maybe my recollection is a bit fuzzy but is not the current
revered DJ 12xx turntable originally a mid 70s middle-of-the-road direct drive? Has it evolved substantially or is any dirct drive from that era pretty much it's peer?

awaiting to be enlightened....
D

I have used an original SL1200, SL1600mkII, SL1700mkII (all 70's home TT), and most of the modern technics 1200 for DJs (1210, 1200mkII, mkIII etc) and they are practically identical apart from the obvious cosmetic differences, eg rotary vs. slider pitch control, start/stop buttons and auto/manual control.

So to answer your question, Yes, I believe they are more or less identical.

But as long as they are all quartz controlled ones, the servo ones are quite different in how they handle. The DJ ones are not floating, and I believe the home TTs are floating. Bear in mind the the nice "DJ friendly" amount of torque stopped at the SL-1900 (1977), after that they were pretty pitiful compared to the earlier ones.

My SL1600mkII is one of my most loved possesions :hbeat:

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/turntables.htm is cool:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.