Mr. Pass what do you listen to, cd or lp ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pedro,

Great! I am so short on time, was afraid already i would have to do it! - BTW, you could sent me DWGs and i could comment them, i too use AutoCAD 3D.

And if that helps, i send you my self-written LISP routines. Auxiliary geometry, DIN standard parts (2d) and a lot of other useful stuff. But please, plain AutoCAD,no mechanical desktop, cannot open/handle those DWGs w/o damaging them partially.

Re: Industrial Stuff

fcel said:
Peter,

Wow, that's some kind of music!

1. When you listen to music, do you listen from the beginning of the song to the end or do you scan thru the CD and listen to bits and pieces?
2. Do you listen them loud or just as background music?
3. Do you listen (if loud) with the kids and wife at home? I assumed you've got wife and kids.
4. Which is most important to you? Low, mid or high?
5. Is achieving 16Hz bass important to you?
6. It feels loud just by reading it! How's your hearing?

As Mr. Pass mentioned somwhere, if you are not satisfied with your system you try to listen louder and louder and eventually you swtch it off.;) So I'm not listening really loud. The other reason for that is that I crossed my Raven ribbon tweeter at 7k with 3rd order slope and it still seems to be not enough: listening too loud would damage it. I usually listen through whole CD. I also like to do compilations of my favourite tracks. Kids and wife got used to my music and they don't mind even if it's loud. My 5 years old doughter recently started to turn it down because she can't hear TV.;) I don't care for 16Hz bass and having it down 25Hz is enough, but the quality of bass is really important and I think that open baffle makes it the best. Lows, mids and highs are equally important and when they properly matched everything just sounds better. When I evaluate new equipment I've built I have few favourite tracks that I've been using for years. Those are: track 6 from Dire Straits "On Every Street", track 3 from first CD "The Wall", track 2 from Lou Reed "New York".

Dice45

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

I don't actualy have my own TT project in autocad.

what I have are bit and pieces from the thing people put online of their own project, that usually are a mess in the drawing section.

I thought we could join forces to develop a nice TT, and I could help with the drawing part.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I can see it now Mr. Pass.

Attachments

• 1levine1.jpg
    1levine1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 576
Pedro,

I thought we could join forces to develop a nice TT, and I could help with the drawing part.
yes, i understood you that way. Good! :)

BTW, why don't have your own TT project in AutoCAD 3D? it's sooo helpful to see solutions! and you do not have to nudge 3 projections along :( and weed out nonsense regularly :mad: . I would not like to miss 3D CAD. My offer for the LISP utilities stays.

My friend, the future of Vinyl has never been in doubt in my mind. It is, ( except for surface noise ) far superior a medium for music reproduction than any other I have come across. Belive me. I own both CD and DVD. They just dont compare in the quality of sound.
Keep them Records Rollin,
Mike OBrien

Time for me to weigh into the whole DIY TT thingy and the pref fro TT or CD I guess...

Since about 1990 I've been happily toodling along with a CD setup. First a cheap Denon, then an Arcam Alpha 5 purchased from a Linn Dealer (there's two meanings for the word PRAT) and since a burglary 2 years ago, a Pioneer DVD player being decoded through a Denon AVR1800. So far so boring and non-diy.

About 6 months ago a friend loaned me a Technics SL120 wth Shure VST and about a dozen albums "just so I could see what I thought..."
Game Over.
Would have sworn black and blue that using the afterthought onboard phono of the Denon HT amp that it'd get stomped by the 24 bit onboard converters and a good digital co-ax cable. No so. Unles the vinyl has had a really hard time then the LP stomps the shiny disc every time.

It's a hard call on Crowded House but for Love Over Gold, Graceland, DSOTM, Violent Femmes, Momentary Lapse, Yello 80/85 and 3 German Punk Albums (Toten Hosen and Die Arzte) there's simply no comparison. Vinyl is a bucketload better.

Sad to use a Linn analogy but with the LP's, I find myself tapping my foot and listening longer.

Dice45, I'm still working on the unipivot. Crazy DIY, Yes, but I got a Zen Revisited, an EL84 SE preamp and a set of Fostex horns to finish too!

If the arm works out, I'll be the first to weigh into the DIY TT thread.

Drew

DrewP,

no reason to wait joining us on the DIY TT thread. You can share thoughts, share design discussions, build later.

It is same with me, too much ongoing projects. If i ever build the DIY TT, i will be one of the last ones and do it just for curiosity. I have a working TT which just gets a plinth and motor re-build and i have a huge airborne behemoth in mind; that's where my personal focus is.
Nevertheless methinks it is fun to help others with what i know. And so i participate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.