Mr. Pass what do you listen to, cd or lp ? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2002, 09:16 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Time for me to weigh into the whole DIY TT thingy and the pref fro TT or CD I guess...

Since about 1990 I've been happily toodling along with a CD setup. First a cheap Denon, then an Arcam Alpha 5 purchased from a Linn Dealer (there's two meanings for the word PRAT) and since a burglary 2 years ago, a Pioneer DVD player being decoded through a Denon AVR1800. So far so boring and non-diy.

About 6 months ago a friend loaned me a Technics SL120 wth Shure VST and about a dozen albums "just so I could see what I thought..."
Game Over.
Would have sworn black and blue that using the afterthought onboard phono of the Denon HT amp that it'd get stomped by the 24 bit onboard converters and a good digital co-ax cable. No so. Unles the vinyl has had a really hard time then the LP stomps the shiny disc every time.

It's a hard call on Crowded House but for Love Over Gold, Graceland, DSOTM, Violent Femmes, Momentary Lapse, Yello 80/85 and 3 German Punk Albums (Toten Hosen and Die Arzte) there's simply no comparison. Vinyl is a bucketload better.

Sad to use a Linn analogy but with the LP's, I find myself tapping my foot and listening longer.

Dice45, I'm still working on the unipivot. Crazy DIY, Yes, but I got a Zen Revisited, an EL84 SE preamp and a set of Fostex horns to finish too!

If the arm works out, I'll be the first to weigh into the DIY TT thread.

Drew
Old 22nd July 2002, 02:12 PM   #32
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

DrewP,

no reason to wait joining us on the DIY TT thread. You can share thoughts, share design discussions, build later.

It is same with me, too much ongoing projects. If i ever build the DIY TT, i will be one of the last ones and do it just for curiosity. I have a working TT which just gets a plinth and motor re-build and i have a huge airborne behemoth in mind; that's where my personal focus is.
Nevertheless methinks it is fun to help others with what i know. And so i participate.
Old 22nd July 2002, 02:21 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default Will you be listening to opera DVD's

a little blurb in last weeks New York Times indicated that DG is going to move away from Opera sets on CD and go strictly to DVD. I believe that DG has the largest operatic catalogue. oh, well, I would rather listen to Joan Sutherland in "Lucia" than watch her.

Hide this!Advertise here!