Thorens TD-160 Skipping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kofi Annan said:
Getting too many solutions here. What's the advantage of the DC motor upgrade versus the pulley? My guess: the pulley will not need to be replaced if I upgrade the motor.

Good guess, eh?

Kofi

sorry for my vague post, i can find the DC conversion i was thinking of, but you can DIY a DC motor (i can't find that link at the mo either!), but if you can find one that fits your pulley, then you only need a relatively simple DC PSU for it. There's lots of Thorens info here:

http://www.theanalogdept.com/index.html

Good Luck

Kofi Annan said:
Getting too many solutions here
Quick-and-dirty solution: reduce the diameter of your pulley!
Dismantle it from the motor, install it on a drill press and start removing some material from the pulley with a file. Don' t be in a hurry, remove small amounts of material, than reinstall the pulley on the motor and check how much the TT has slowed down. Repeat the procedure until you get to the right speed. At this point, just make the pulley' s surface smoother using some very fine sand paper (with the pulley on the drill press, of course...)

Kofi Annan said:
Anyway, if you can get me in touch with joschka...

Hmmmm no, unfortunately I can... but ask Gerhard, for sure he can... (sorry Kofi, could not resist...:D )

Cheers,

Bruno

Carondimonio said:

Quick-and-dirty solution: reduce the diameter of your pulley!
Dismantle it from the motor, install it on a drill press and start removing some material from the pulley with a file.

OK-- I can handle this. Since I have nothing to lose at this point, I'll give it a try. This TT purchase has been a complete disaster from start to finish. No big deal, actually. When you're a Secretary General of the United Nations, you can afford to buy a few duds.

Is there some way I can check the speed scientifically? That is, rather than using my ears, can I make sure that its really turning at 33 1/3 revolutions per minute?

ask Gerhard, for sure he can

OK-- the joke's on me here. I get it.

Hey-- no world peace until I get some apologies for this!

Kofi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.