Cheap Rotel or Cheap B&O or? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2002, 06:50 PM   #1
SteveG is offline SteveG  United States
Account Disabled

Default Cheap Rotel or Cheap B&O or?

I have two turntables currently... one older Rotel, and one Bang & Olufsen (a cheaper model). Are either of these worth doing anything with, or should I look into building a turntable? I would like to spend less than $500 on the whole thing, and was planning on using either a Shure V15 glued or a grado with a Pass Pearl phono stage (not to be included in that $500 price limit). The B&O only accepts their plug in cart as far as I can tell. The Rotel has been delivering acceptable sound for a while with a midpriced AT cart, but I would like something with a little more resolution, if for no other reason than to archive my vinyl collection to cd. Can anyone offer any budget setups that have a proven track record?
Old 3rd July 2002, 02:35 PM   #2
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Steve,
dunno either of the models you have. But B&O always appeared utterly slim and, well, structurally weak to me AFA TTs are concerned. Their MMC cartridges however are real stunners, but they cost quite a lot on ebay.

A Shure V15 alone could almost eat up your budget. If i would have to decide between your two TTs, i would keep the Rotel, would try to sell the B&O on ebay (please wait until September, so do i on ebay, summer holidays!). Keep and tweak the Rotel until you decide you need a better one.

Cartridge glueing is utterly beneficial even with cheapo MM cartridges. I tried this out with several Ortofon MM cartridges like OMB 5 and OMB 10. They sing!

Hide this!Advertise here!