DIY cassette deck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got components from UK/ Japan/ Hong Kong/ US etc like Multicap Polyustrene caps and large number of Nakamichi cassette deck spares and alignment tapes/ instruments
as well as Opamps like OPA 2614/ OP275 and dual matched Toshiba Fets all of
costing a lot. I also got some some Precision polyusterene caps locally. But such caps cannot be bought in small quantities.

Interestingly I have 5 Nakmichi decks including top of the line CR7/ Dragons!!!- some of them for sale and one is brand new and prestine / Mint!
I also have Linsely hood Deck circuit & Boards and components which You cannot get it in India. Unfortunately if you are thinking of not spending money, you cannot do much.
If you look at how Nakamichi mechanism is made and the engineering behind these mechanism,their playback/ record / erase heads as well as their circuitry, you will understand why they are still go for 1000 US dollar on Ebay auctions.
Getting even good quality Polyester cap is very difficult in Bangalore! So you have to look beyond local shops if you need them.
Kayes

Joined 2002
Paid Member
kayes said:
... Unfortunately if you are thinking of not spending money, you cannot do much.

I whole-heartedly second that.

However, if you do want to spend (like I do) the best way is to buy, not build...

Decks and parts are difficult to find in India. I guess Mumbai would be an exception.

Then again I found a matched pair of original RCA 6L6 tubes in a small 2ft by 2ft. shop in Cal. They were charging about 2 grand for the pair so they knew what they were talking about, too...

Cassette Deck

Kayes,

I have often considered buying decisive components (such as 1% MFRs in E24 Series, Polypropylyne 2% Caps) from kit vendors abroad. I never went ahead as I have no idea how many pieces one has to place an order for as minimum and the modus operandi of payment. Now that you are in the US, could you tell me whether the likes of Radio Shack honour small time orders? Would it be possible to make payment in terms of Indian Rupee?
Please let me know.

Thanks.

Parts in India

This post is specifically for DIY guys in India. There are tons of parts avalable in India. If not in your city certainly in one of the other metro's. Get help from your friends - classmates-colleagues.
Mumbai is certainly the best. I bought Hitachi MOSFET's 2SK1058/2SJ162 from a street shop for Rs 560/- ( US$11.20) a pair. That is as good as many international prices. I also paid about Rs 330/- (US$6.60) for the same in Hong Kong. There are lots of other components available in Delhi and Mumbai. Heat sinks are far cheaper in Indian than in Europe. There are tons of computer grade capacitors up to about 100 volts or so.
I opened my limited production Rogers GS-1 loudspeaker to find an Indian made polyester capacitor inside!
So Indian parts are not all trash. Check them out and pick the good ones. All semiconductors are generally genuine if they are not used very widely like 2N3055 !
Fake products generally will be very widely used and making it worth while faking !

Imports for personal use. Today's import rules say that you can import any of these components including speaker drivers without any licencing required. There is a duty on it with surcharge etc which amounts to about 51 %. You can import it and pay duty on arrival. There is a US$5000/- per year restricition on how much you can send abroad or spend on your travels abroad ( totally) ( on credit card or taken as drafts or exchange from a FX dealer).

I bought 6L6 tubes ( not matched ) for Rs700/- a pair. ECC82's for Rs75 each. ECC 83's are mostly fake and actually ECC 82 with the labels changed - a few are genuine. Look around. There is more than what you have seen so far. That is true for any country.
DIY and have fun.
Cheers.

Ashok
If you are not lucky, or not willing to grease the palm of guys at Customs, you will end up not getting your parts or pay through your nose as duties / fines.

My 20 lot 10nF Multicap costs more than 100 US$ crosses the 1 year import quota of a person and one Nakamichi alignment tape would cost around 80 $ (shipping from Japan will cost 20$ additionally) One Nakamichi Head alignment gauge costs over 400US$ at 65% total duty on the one item will make you run away from any thought of importing.

Secondly you may not receive your parcel thru our mailing system or pay large money to receive it through Fedex.
Importing is easier said than done. But still you get large number of semiconductors in ordinary shops in SP road or Lamington road - I have spent lot of times in these roads including Madras shops. If you do not ask the price in many shops you end up paying double for the same semi in the first shop you asked.

However in US you have to order everything through internet and the shipping costs are prohibitive.
If you want few items, plan and get as many items from one vendor at a time. If you want special semis or Inductors or Caps and if you are willing to spend money US/UK/Dutch / Germany are the places to look.
Ultimately you need strong leg/ time and money for it and few of us have got it. India had missed the oppotunity by stupid import policy regarding electronic components compared to Computer components - or Digital ICs - so you find large number of computer related items are available at international prices in India and no importer is interested in Audio related stuff any way.
My wishes to all those who are willing to go forward even though it is not easy
Kayes

Guys, forget about importing things to India. It is not worth the trouble. The whole system is ****. I got fed up asking how I can import a couple of Vifa tweeters. All everyone said was that the customs will make you wish you had never thought of importing. Even Blue Dart said it will be very difficult dealing with customs.

Vivek

Hi,

I am looking for Nak decks. Do you still have them for sale ??

I got components from UK/ Japan/ Hong Kong/ US etc like Multicap Polyustrene caps and large number of Nakamichi cassette deck spares and alignment tapes/ instruments
as well as Opamps like OPA 2614/ OP275 and dual matched Toshiba Fets all of
costing a lot. I also got some some Precision polyusterene caps locally. But such caps cannot be bought in small quantities.

Interestingly I have 5 Nakmichi decks including top of the line CR7/ Dragons!!!- some of them for sale and one is brand new and prestine / Mint!
I also have Linsely hood Deck circuit & Boards and components which You cannot get it in India. Unfortunately if you are thinking of not spending money, you cannot do much.
If you look at how Nakamichi mechanism is made and the engineering behind these mechanism,their playback/ record / erase heads as well as their circuitry, you will understand why they are still go for 1000 US dollar on Ebay auctions.
Getting even good quality Polyester cap is very difficult in Bangalore! So you have to look beyond local shops if you need them.
Kayes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.