DIY cassette deck - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2002, 07:50 AM   #11
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I did not expect to get so many replies on this thread.
I think the best thing for me to do is to see if I can find a cheap transport or try to con someone into parting with his/her old cassette deck. I can then probably hook it on to a tape pre-amp.
The problem is that though I buy only CDs or get them burnt from a friend, I still have a huge load of tapes. I was looking to try and find something better than the commercially made deck I now have.
Shashidhar, what cassette deck do you have and do you have any idea what commercially made decks cost here?
Kayes, what kits do you sell?
Thanks to all for their comments.
Regards,
Vivek

P.S: Bernhard, nice looking tonearms.
Old 29th June 2002, 10:56 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Cassette Deck

Vivek,

Believe it or not, I have rigged up a car stereo deck. The deck mechanism and the preamp are run on a 12V battery. AC mains can be noisy. As someone remarked in this thread, cassette decks are a dying thing and there is no reson why we should spend a fortune on them. I concentrate on power amp and speakers.

Good luck.
Old 3rd November 2002, 09:03 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hey Kayes,

I have a JLH hood cassette deck you talk of but i cannot get any details on it would you be willing to give me a copy of the articles?

Vivek, I once build a cassette deck, the playback section I got a mechanism initially from the electronics souk, then I manage to purchase a brilliant mech from Hart Electronics in UK they do a single head and a twin head, with decent heads and solenoid operation.

Dan
Old 3rd November 2002, 10:10 PM   #14
diyAudio Senior Member

Default ME TOO.

Quote:
A good reel2reel can outperform a vinyl TT. Not kidding, ya know, me vinyl person
I agree,but that isn't that easy either IMO.
And good tape costs a lot too especially if you run it at 7.5 IPS.

Here too I'd rather buy a good secondhand one such as a Studer C37 or Revox G37.

And you all know why I prefer these don't you?

Cheers,
Old 3rd November 2002, 10:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I wouldn't bother with building a tape deck nowadays. I have at least ten of them (including 2 R2R) and I'm using none. The best way is to find a good bargain on a used equipment market.
http://www.diyvideo.com/forums/showt...d+classic+gear

I have Nakamichi 1000ZXL, which is considered one of the best cassette decks (the other one is Tandberg) with full service manual. I was thinking about modifing the circuits and adding Dolby S, but somehow after 4 years, still didn't do nothing about it.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd November 2002, 10:40 PM   #16
diyAudio Senior Member

Default INDIA

Peter,

Quote:
I wouldn't bother with building a tape deck nowadays. I have at least ten of them (including 2 R2R) and I'm using none. The best way is to find a good bargain on a used equipment market.
Think when you live in India it just ain't that simple.

Cheers,
Old 3rd November 2002, 10:46 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: INDIA

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove

Think when you live in India it just ain't that simple.

You mean building them, right?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 3rd November 2002, 10:55 PM   #18
diyAudio Senior Member

Default NO COMMENT.

Old 5th November 2002, 05:26 AM   #19
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

It depends on what you use it for and how much it costs.

I've built quite a few decks, and there are major problems with the playback quality of commercial designs currently available in India. I have access to schematics of NAB tape preamps, but they need to be well built (read: No veroboard) to keep noise down.

Therefore I generally recommend buyin a used deck. I personally use a Sharp deck with a replacement Ferrite head and overhauled mechanical transport (the really hard push button keys) that is working excellently. No Dolby, simple VU meters, etc, and the thing cost under 3000 Rupees. A great buy by my standards.

As to the comments on India, there are a few problems, let me clarify what Vivek must've been trying to say.

The most widely used format in India is the cassette tape. It is much more economical than CDs, which typically constitute (legally) about 5% of music sales. Also most of CDs in India cost about $10, and some about $5-&6. Cassettes typically cost $2.50 or so, and if you look at the average GDP of the country, cassettes make more sense for most of the population. This is of course not counting piracy and downloading from K*Z**.

If you now account for the fact that most new music hits the indian scene first through piracy (an Example: Riding with the King was relased in India almost 6 months after its international release) and in the form of cassettes, a tape deck makes a lot of sense in our context.

Of course the cassette being a listening format not extensively suited for high end listening, it does not make sense to spend mucho bucks behind it in the first place...
Old 5th November 2002, 05:58 AM   #20
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Sangram,
I have found the cheaper alternative to those expensive CDs available in the market. Many of my friends have CD writers. A blank CD costs about Rs 30. I get most of the albums I want (including Riding with the King) burnt at my friends' places. But again, I have some very good albums like ACDC, Guns and Roses on tape. I just do not have the heart to chuck them out.
By the way, where can I get one of those Sharp players you are talking about?

Cheers,
Vivek

Hide this!Advertise here!