What cables to you use ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2004, 01:08 AM   #1
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Default What cables to you use ?

So i'm making some cables here i am wondering your theory on your cables and what kind of cables you use. rca, balanced, speaker, power. Did you make your own.
Old 18th October 2004, 01:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Monster
Old 18th October 2004, 01:47 AM   #3
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
no you don't. Don't lie.. I should change my avatar..
Old 18th October 2004, 08:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Some surplus 15 conductor, round sheathed computer cable, all tied in parallel. Acts like "Litz" wire. Vastly superior
Old 19th October 2004, 02:37 AM   #5
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Now as you have mentioned it, Jason... this is probably a good opportunity to ask wether someone can recommend a good technique of rewiring a tonearm to balanced outputs while keeping the signal passive without using transformers?

As for the interconnects, I moved to 'stage quality' or 'microphone' cable as for professional, ruggedized stage wiring. Comes in different materials and capacitances/inductances by differend manufacturers.

For a turntable, I don't see requirements other than those for microphone signals (low levels, funny impedances, sensitivity to microphony, sensitivity to EMI), so a good microphone cable (single/coaxial or twisted pair) just fits for me. I've tried 'Monitor' cables at one occasion. The good news is: they didn't behave worse than other cables, so there is at least one brand I can name...

As for plugs, I'm currently not willing to use anything else than Neutrik (RCA or XLR in home audio), as one just doesn't get dissappointed by them over time. I actually like them for power and speaker connections too, wherever applicable.

To sum this up, I'm happy with professional grade microphone cable (any non-crappy make does sound neutral) with Neutrik RCA connectors (because they last and look good). This is not the cheapest way to go, but if I wanted to go cheaper than this, I could stick to a manufacturer's cable anyway (because there are sometimes very good preinstalled interconnects).

But I'm still looking for a wiring to leave an unamplified tonearm with a symmetric signal...

Thanks,
Sebastian.

Hide this!Advertise here!