Yamaha AX-930

So i got my old amp back what a good feeling this is.. it was my first amp that was given to me to have for free that i fixed long long long time ago. so i have it now back in my hands and would like to do some mods to id. im thinking about replacing all the resisters with metal film and matching all the transisters since one channel is difrent. and maybe some psu stuff any one got any sujestions / the schematic for this amp.. ?

ok got some pictures of the amp.. starting this project soon.. WOOT!!! any one got a schematic though so i can properly set the bias.. ?

Attachments

• yamaha.jpg
    yamaha.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 550
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Jayson,
Do not replace all the resistors with metal film. If you must, some in the signal path in the front end, okay. You should see if this model runs the tone controls in the feedback network. Yuck if so.
I think that matching the transistors is a good idea if you are replacing parts in a damaged amp or building one from scratch. I wouldn't do this with a working amp.
This is not a bad sounding mid range amp, but it will never improve greatly. There are issues with power supply and PCB layout that you can't reasonably get around. Treak it a bit but then just enjoy it for what it is.
-Chris

in my picture above it shows that teh outputs have been changed. : O ) so now i want to make them matched and start working on the preamp gain stage and ect ect thigns.. this is a realy godo amp i like it alot and is sounds really good. also it is heavy .. teh volume pot is getting changed to a alps maybe a motorized one. i dunno yet.

J'

yamaha ax-930

Hi there,
I had my Yamaha AX-930 repaired after 31 years ...
Exchanged:
2x speakers protection relay
All buttons have been sealed.
Elko replaced ...
What can I say, it sounds like the first day with two Sonofer SF 2.01 speakers ......:)
I have not regretted it….;)

...can be found on hifiengine (HiFi Engine | Owners and Service Manuals). Free if you sign up for an account.

--Christian

Hello Christian,
Thank you for the link .... Registration has taken place
I still have all the original documents for the Yamaha AX-930 with me ...
After 31 years, I am still enthusiastic about the device ...
It's just a Class A amplifier ... ;)
Have a nice day ...