My DIY record cleaner. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2007, 03:41 AM   #31
Irakli is offline Irakli  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Record cleaner clone

Hi All,

I was so inspired by the posts in this thread that decided to go ahead and make a record cleaner.
Mat did a great job and I would like to thank him for his ideas. I basically repeated his design with couple changes.
I've got Pioneer DD turntable form ebay for $15 and I used a wooden box from my old power amp. The white tube you see on the bottom is a Bath tube 1.5" knee pipe from Home Depot. Fits VPI socket perfectly

Thanks Mat and the rest for inspiration.

Regards, Irakli
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recordcleaner11.jpg (39.9 KB, 2059 views)
Old 1st February 2007, 03:43 AM   #32
Irakli is offline Irakli  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Record Cleaner clone

Here is the other picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recordcleaner21.jpg (48.8 KB, 1862 views)
Old 3rd February 2007, 06:56 PM   #33
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Started playing vinyl again with the completion of my latest phono stage design and some needed updates to the old Thorens TD-125.

This is a very inspiring thread, I've always wanted a record cleaner and I have all the tools to build one, but it never occured to me... until now!

I'm going to go the VPI upgrade kit route with some as yet to be determined cheap DD TT. I'll modify it to run at 16rpm or less. The kit is $69 and seems worthwhile.
Old 3rd February 2007, 07:07 PM   #34
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I have a Keith Monks record cleaning machine already (picked up for 47), but if I didn't, I'd certainly build one like this one. I'm full of admiration for such a cheap, effective, and above all, elegant design. Congratulations.
Old 5th February 2007, 06:37 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to squeegy200
Default Finished my machine.

I've always been outraged at the prices of RCMs on the open market. These are not complex machines nor are they precision instruments.

So when I stumbled across this discussion thread, it aroused my curiosity.

Since then, I scoured the web for other designs but kept coming back to this one. Its simple, effective, and inexpensive.

So I finally built it in a single afternoon. Total cost including the VPI arm was $80. I required approximately three hours to build from scratch. I used a platter bearing and spindle from an NAD 5125 and just turn the platter by hand.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks to everyone for all of the useful information.
Old 10th February 2007, 10:25 PM   #36
diyAudio Moderator

Just scored a donor turntable, an old Pioneer PL-512XD a friend found at a local dump.. Not a DD so I'll probably be going the hand powered route at least initially.

Now to order the VPI rcm upgrade kit.

And find a teeny vacuum cleaner to modify..

I'll post again once I start to get the bits and pieces looking something like an rcm..
Old 10th February 2007, 11:37 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Finished my machine.

Quote:
Originally posted by squeegy200

So I finally built it in a single afternoon. Total cost including the VPI arm was $80. I required approximately three hours to build from scratch. I used a platter bearing and spindle from an NAD 5125 and just turn the platter by hand.
Great machine, where did you score the pump?
Old 11th February 2007, 04:07 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Great machine, where did you score the pump?
http://www.amazon.com/Volt-Quick-Fil.../dp/B00080RXNE
Old 12th February 2007, 07:15 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

I want to get this small vacuum cleaner from a big box store too. Would this little pump generate lots of noise?

Just to make sure, cause I don't want to waken my grandma at the middle of the night while cleaning a dirty LP...
Old 12th February 2007, 02:40 PM   #40
diyAudio Moderator

What are you using to catch the used washer fluid? I can't imagine that spewing liquid and vapor through the pump is good for it, and the solution might not be that good for me..

Real VPI machines used to have a jar to catch the liquid, and it would gradually fill up.

I'd use a small wet/dry shop vac or a trap (something from Fisher Scientific) with an air pump.

An air pump like this with a jar trap might be good..

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-110-120-...FQSS&s=generic

I'd expect any of these options to be noisy.. VPI machines are horrendously noisy - at least the 16 and 17 series stuff I've been exposed to.

Hide this!Advertise here!