My DIY record cleaner. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2004, 06:59 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

You have handled the mechanicals in an elegant manner, even the wood grains match! I think I recognize the Noguci (sp?) lamp, a great shadowless source.

The real upside to your set up is that it is attractive, therefore out and always available to use while the VPI et al were excuse the expression "butt ugly" and had to be hidden from view...explaining vinyl is hard enough! The price and the satisfaction of doing a project like this is inspiring.

My one little quibble is in your choice of brushes. The one that comes with the VPI is truly sensational, short bristled, micro fine so as to be able to get right down into the bottom of the groove and scrub the groove walls as the disk makes a few turns with quite a lot of fluid on the surface. Now I didn't see it at the link that has the vacumn tube but if it is available I think you'd find it a plus. The VPI also uses a screw down clamp with a porous sponge mat on the platter.

My question is what are you using for your cleaning solution. The VPI is a good but expensive product. Have you concocted a "home brew"? It would be a great next step for this project.

I am supposed to be borrowing back the VPI I sold to a friend several years ago though in truth says he it may be gone, along with a gallon of the fluid so I may just be going to Target or IKEA (maybe they still have that lamp) and all the other sites and sending you pics!

Thanks again, hope the other fella' did well too!
Old 30th November 2004, 07:22 AM   #22
mattjk is offline mattjk  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you!

Yes, I agree with the brush, I just didn't want to spend the $40 for the VPI brush though. LOL

When I purchased the VPI suction kit, I went ahead and purchased the VPI cleaning solution. It was cheap and mixed up to 1 gallon.

Matt
Old 30th November 2004, 12:15 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

This is really thought provoking. I couldn't live without a dish washer in my kitchen, it's not that I'm lazy, simply put it does a better job with much hotter water and much more caustic soap than my hands can take. Loaded properly used well it frees me up for other things. Conversely I know from my experience with the VPI Machine how much life can be brought forth from some seemingly dead clunkers while the already good become better.

The problem with both machines is where to put them in. I will move heaven and earth to accommodate my DW and now that vinyl has had a second coming (!!) for me I think it appropriate I become a proponent of "vinyl baptism" as a regular ritual. Perhaps by doing that ritual in public as a convenient adjunct to listening might encourage others to do the same and debunk some of the craziness in addition to cleaning up the sound.

A clean groove is a happy groove!
Old 12th December 2004, 08:22 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Additional info...

I highly recommend visiting the Elusive Disc for any of you with either deep or shallow pockets as they have something there for everyone, and by all means ask for their catalogue. These folks don't waste their money on slick magazine stock and Madison Avenue layouts just simple pictures and good descriptive verbage and specs from people who have actually used the stuff.

Anywho I digress. I am writing mainly of the brush I challenged mattjk on earlier in this thread. Attached you'll find two pics, they are brushes for the VPI cleaners. The one with the black handle is $29.00, the one with out handle is $9.00. Is there a differance? You tell me. They are from two differant model machines but they clean the same size record..Hmmm.

I am borrowing back my old VPI from my friend. I bought it in 1986 for about $300.00, that same machine now costs around $600.00 and from the looks of things it is mid level cost wise.

Mattjk I think you have a winner for the science fair project of the year, and if you don't win I'd demand a recount in Ohio!

Hope this thread hasn't simply died is any one out there, or are you all just busy building your own cleaners... yes there are those pesky things called work and family...What a great Chrismas present a record vac would make for your wife/significant other!

Hope you all have a happy holiday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture_8.jpg (3.1 KB, 3225 views)
Old 6th April 2005, 10:32 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi Mattjk,
I would like to know wherther the VPI HW-16 TO HW 16.5 UPGRADE KIT has the full function of cleaning and vaccum sucking of cleaning fluid for a clean and dry cleaning?
Old 6th April 2005, 07:21 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Cleaning vs. Dry Cleaning

Mike the short answer to the difference between the 16 & the 16.5 is justifying the jump in cost from $300 to $600.
In both you judiciously flood the groove section of the record while it is clamped to the rotating turntable. Then with an even preassure apply the brush and allowit to contact the grooves for several revs. Rotate the vacumn tube over the record surface turn it on and voila! Dry cleaning!
Check back through the threads on this for the fluid the brush and the vacumn part.
Hope this answered your question.
Old 12th May 2005, 06:42 AM   #27
mattjk is offline mattjk  United States
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th December 2006, 09:34 PM   #28
k9vap is offline k9vap  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default DIY CLEANER

Just posted my efforts on Lenco Lovers:

http://www.lenco-lovers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338
Old 31st December 2006, 04:31 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

That is fantastic work there. it looks so "clean".

one thing i would mention by the way though. that looks likea pretty cheap and flimsy piece of furniture can you put something thick/heavy/dense between that wood and the real turntable.

make your nice clean records sound better
Old 31st December 2006, 06:28 AM   #30
bonz is offline bonz  United States
diyAudio Member

This is a fantastic design.

I recently started playing vinyl again but have been constantly plagued with the inability to get the grooves dust free.

Thanks for posting this. I already own most of the equipment necessary. I am going to begin this project very soon.

Thanks,
Bonz

p.s. I agree with the previous post. Mount that turntable on solid rock if possible. It's hard to believe how much even the slightest vibrations affect playback.

Hide this!Advertise here!