pioneer pl-117d

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
zoombies said:
ok, maybe I'll rephrase the question. Where can I find info. on improving an existing turntable?

The PL117 was the fully auto version of the PL112/PL115D lineup. Representative of the CEC tuntables that got churned out in the late 70s.

Some things to look at:

1/ align the cartridge... the factory alignment guide is way off. and tighen the headshell and headshell screws (the headshell has a little rubber washer -- toss it
2/ improve the base (or throw it out completely and start over ;^)
3/ making the table less automatic -- fully manual is best.
4/ i'm sure the arm could benefit from some attention. tweaking the tension on the bearings, damping spurious resonances.

dave

Pioneer PL 117D Advise

I have an old Pioneer PL 117D turntable that has been in the attic for years. My kid's recently discovered it and want to use it to liten to my old Jazz and Rock Records. Problem is the stylus is missing.(Cartridge is a Stanton 500) and the platter isn't turning. I don't know anything about fixing it.

My question, is it a belt or direct drive? Is it worth fixing up?

Al:confused:

Re: Pioneer PL 117D Advise

altenuta said:
I have an old Pioneer PL 117D turntable that has been in the attic for years. My kid's recently discovered it and want to use it to liten to my old Jazz and Rock Records. Problem is the stylus is missing.(Cartridge is a Stanton 500) and the platter isn't turning. I don't know anything about fixing it.

My question, is it a belt or direct drive? Is it worth fixing up?

Al:confused:

The belt has probably come off the motor spindle.

Not a fan of the Stanton 500 cartridge, see the above post.

:) sreten.

planet10 said:

1/ align the cartridge... the factory alignment guide is way off. and tighen the headshell and headshell screws (the headshell has a little rubber washer -- toss it
2/ improve the base (or throw it out completely and start over ;^)
3/ making the table less automatic -- fully manual is best.
4/ i'm sure the arm could benefit from some attention. tweaking the tension on the bearings, damping spurious resonances.

dave

JMO on some points :

1) agreed, also see the link in the above post.
2) The base / plinth is fine as the turntable has a seperate subchassis.
3) This is an arguable point, as the deck can become quite difficult
to use. Personally I'd leave the automatic functions alone, as you
need to be quite skilled to leave in the bits you do need to stop
and start the turntable.
4) See the link in the above post.

:) sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.